Rental Wedding Cakes??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm by praetorian2000

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 3

I would like some honest opinions on the rental of wedding cakes...

Let me start by saying this is a really cheap place, as in people hate spending money... I've also decided that making wedding cakes on a regular basis just isn't for me since I work 40 hours a week in a regular job and have a 3 and 5 year old.

There is a store here that has rental wedding cakes, just styrofoam covered in fondant I imagine... They charge a high deposit, but not a high rental... I have been thinking about making 3-4 rentals so that people can buy their cheap Costco or Supermarket cakes but still have a cake to display. It will let me practice on my wedding cake decorating skills without having the regular time commitment...

Any thoughts on this practice?? Thanks in advance!!

Katherine

2 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 3

Kay, my theory is, if you have the money and time to invest in the project, you should go ahead and do it. Especially if it is something that you think will work in your area. You won't know until you try and it will help you to improve your skills.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 3

i have heard of people doing that. they pay for a cake that can be presented to everyone and everyone can marvel at how beautiful it is. the bride and groom cut through a real cake that is part of the fake cake. the cake is taken to the kitchen and swapped for a cheaper cake that is already cut. no one but the bride and groom know the truth. i say go for it.

norman

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%