Are You Kidding Me?!?!

Decorating By KawaiiCakeCook Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm by Butterpatty

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:25am
post #1 of 24

I live in a SMALL town, really small. There is a woman here who I dislike because...well because I don't. So yesterday she calls me and this is how the conversation went.

Her: Hi Brook this is *Nancy*
Me: umm..hi, how can I help you?
H: I was wondering if you do cookie cakes
M: Yes I do, when would you need it(may not like her but her money is green)
H: Well I was just wondering if you did them
M: Yes I do (my cheapo-senses are starting to tingle)
H: Well I was going to do it myself but I didn't know what pan to use.
M: (Screaming mentally in my head) Uh huh?
H: Well if I had a pan then I could I do it myself.
M: Yup, well if you want to order something from me let me know.
H: What pan do you use do cookie cakes.
M: THe one I ordered. Listen Nancy got to run.*click*

I have spoken to this woman three times. We are not friends, I do not like her, are you kidding me. I run a business, was I wrong to want to throttle her?

23 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #2 of 24

The nerve!

It's your business, you have the right to choose both your customers, and whatever information you want to reveal.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:22am
post #3 of 24

LOL!!! To funny. I just can't see soemone asking me how to do a cake is they know I sell them. How rude! Research, study, & learn just like I had to.

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:56am
post #4 of 24

First I love your response "the one i ordered".

Second...Im still a newbie to all this so can I ask what a cookie cake is?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:07am
post #5 of 24

I think it's really gutsy and rude for a customer to do that! You did the best thing. Shut her down...before she does it again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KacieMeredith

Second...Im still a newbie to all this so can I ask what a cookie cake is?

A cookie cake is when you take cookie dough and put it in a sheet pan (typically a large round sheet pan the size of a large or xl pizza). You spray the pan with Pam or something else. And then kind of smush the dough down into the pan so that the cookie will bake up pretty evenly. You want it to be pretty flat.

Then when it's done baking, you pop it out of the pan. And people will use frosting to decorate the cake. You typically put a border around it. And people write words.

Let me find you a link.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:10am
post #6 of 24

Ok here's a link that will you show you some cookie cakes!
http://www.greatamericancookies.com/

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:34am
post #7 of 24

I had a maid of honor call me to tell me that she and the bride decided that they were going to make the bride's weddiing cake, could they call me for advice and direction.

I told them sure, they could call me...my decorating teaching fee was $25.00 per hour.

DIdn't hear from them again

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:36am
post #8 of 24

wow very good answer "the one I bought" too funny

Aaggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aaggie Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:43am
post #9 of 24

I hate to be rude and I understand the not liking someone. I probably would have done the same thing. But....the not sharing ideas and comradary of cake decorators. I love my skills and am happy to share whatever I know. Let's not be stingy. Share the love and skills. I've learned and am still learning from friends and cake decorators out there!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:49am
post #10 of 24

You did exactly what I would have done. The nerve of some people.....

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaggie

I hate to be rude and I understand the not liking someone. I probably would have done the same thing. But....the not sharing ideas and comradary of cake decorators. I love my skills and am happy to share whatever I know. Let's not be stingy. Share the love and skills. I've learned and am still learning from friends and cake decorators out there!

Really? So if someone you DON'T like came and asked to use your supplies you'd just give it to them? Don't get me wrong I'll give advice all the time, quick short advice. But my equipment, you're out your mind. I had to work hard to earn the money to buy that. I'm a business woman, I'm not in business to help you for free. She is not a fellow decorated she is a pain in my tush.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 24

I would of said sure I could rent you my pan for $50.00 a day lol

sudie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sudie1 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 24

I've had that aproblem with a neighbor, who I actually like but we aren't best friends or anything. She calls and asks me to borrow cookie cutters and pans. That puts you in a tough spot. But yes, I've worked hard to pay for my supplies so she can go buy them too! But how do you tactfully say this to someone?

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #14 of 24

KawaiiCakeCook I don't know this lady but I already don't like her. How rude can one get

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #15 of 24

Sudie1
Usually a flat-out "I don't loan out my equipment" will do.

You can then say, "but I got mine at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Walmart etc.. . Maybe you should pick up a few things if you are getting into baking this much."

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaggie

I love my skills and am happy to share whatever I know. Let's not be stingy. Share the love and skills. I've learned and am still learning from friends and cake decorators out there!

This I do with my own discretion. A lot of queries I get on "How do you...?" come from friends who just want to make their own children's cakes. That is fine and I do share the info or try to help them, and they always seem appreciative. Things I don't usually share are recipes and exact price breakdowns on my cakes. These pieces of information I don't even share with friends! I have been getting more orders from strangers and less from friends (because I'm booked by then) these days, and I have to say that I like that a lot!

rondaroy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rondaroy Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 24

I can say I don't mind sharing with my friends also. The only one I don't share with is another lady at my office who does cakes also and she makes them for our office when we have birthday lunch each month. I have been told her cakes are not as moist as mine which is funny because we went to the same classes. I don't share my filling recipes with her because I have done the work to get them right and don't need her making money off of my hard work. I do tell her where I got the recipe from on the internet that is the base for most of my cream fillings and she can go there to find it. But as for good friends, family and new cake bakers I have no problem sharing or letting them know different tricks and where to find anything they might need. Who knows one day they might have some knowledge I need. So be nice

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #18 of 24

I got one for you! A sister of a bride I just did a couple weeks ago is taking a Wilton course.. So, she calls and said if you don't want to tell me that's fine.. dang skippy I don't want to tell you! LOL Anyway, she was asking me how I get my cakes so dense if it was a cake mix or scratch. Also what type of pans I use. I told her I would rather not say. She told me that she made a cake in class and it was the same exact flavors I had just made for the wedding cake! I told her it was trial and error.. I quickly got off the phone!

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 24

Took a lot of cookies and cupcakes to a suppose "show" to raise money for a hospital...I was the only one with food..None of the vendors sold much,because people(staff) wandered in with NO $$$$ icon_confused.gif
These 2 women came and ate sample cookies (25 cents) and then kept coming back and eyeing the cupcakes,but wouldn't buy them...Than came back again and wanted my recipes,and wanted me to teach them???(Had never seen them before nor since)
Someone else was doing a CATERED Xmas dinner party,and didn't want to pay for desserts...thought I'd spend $15.00-$20.00 on gas to deliver a tray of assorted cookies icon_eek.gif ....never heard from her again...
I would never let my cake toys out of my sight...I just say"I had to order them from the U.K. or the U.S"......I show a little lace mold that cost over $20.00US....they seem to realize after that that it could be expensive to replace.....
You were absolutely right, OP!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 24

I don't mind telling people I know how to do things, but I'm not sharing any of my equipment, EVER! Not even with my 21 year old favorite niece! She would ask me to do the cake for her anyway. As far as someone calling me & saying "I'm gonna make my own wedding cake, can you help me?" No this is a business for me, that would make no sense. As far as someone wanting to learn, that would depend on how serious they were. I'm not a fan of the Michael's graduate, "I took 3 courses, now I'm gonna sell cakes". I'm sorry I'm not helping them either. I'm helping the person who is a serious as I am, who has took the time to research, study & learn, (besides from Michael's), but just seems to have a problem in a certain area & no matter what they do, just can't seem to get it. My time has value.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I'm not a fan of the Michael's graduate, "I took 3 courses, now I'm gonna sell cakes".

lol

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #22 of 24

I must say to the nay sayers on the op fisrt points.....I don't think *Nancy* is actually a decorator.....to me it sounds like she just didn't want to order one from the op but had the gull to ask how.
Now I don't disagree with sharing tips, trick and all that stuff but business is business.
There are loads of people with their "special sauce" that take their recipe to the grave!
As hobby bakers I could see how some wouldn't not mind given away all their secrets, and borrowing out their stuff.....but if you are trying to make a living off it why would you take money out of your own pocket or food out of your childrens mouths?
I fyou are having a gourmet dinner party they you are cooking for do you really think the executive chef of a 5-star restaurant is going to give you equipment and is best secrets...no he needs you to buy it from his restaurant.

Just my two sense

To the OP you did exactly the right thing!!!

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #23 of 24

Sorry this is late but just wanted to thank cylstrial for her info...I dont know if I had ever seen one of those...but they look good....

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #24 of 24

The whole issue for me is that here is a person who is not really a friend but comes asking for info. Having gone thru something along these lines this week, I sympathize with the OP and say, "you answered just fine"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%