Do These Buttercreams Crust?

Decorating By heathandhail Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm by lthiele

heathandhail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathandhail Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 9

HI All,

Sorry if this information has been posted before, it's just hard to find in a search.

So I've been reading the site and I've started saving some buttercream recipes that you all seem to love.

* Sugarshack's Buttercream Icing
* Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
* Buttercream Dream

Do all these one's crust? Is there one that you prefer over the other?

I'm trying to find one to start using regularly

Thanks for all the input!!!!

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 9

I highly recommend Sugarshack, if ya can get hi ratio shortening! When I have to use a crusting from now on, this is the one! As far as shortening based bc's go, this is just about perfect!

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 9

I purchased Sugarshacks DVD I not only recomend the dvd but the recipe, I was even able to use my local grocery stores shortening as it still contains trans fat ! Yes hers crust well it does stay workable thougg for a longer time than store brought crusting BC

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 9

Sugarshacks works for me! I can't tell you how many others I have tried and Sugarshacks is the best tasting and smoothest bc ever!

__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 9

Yep, I have heard that plain ole Crisco will work, it never did for me, in fact I can't even look at a tub o' Crisco without feeling queasy after eating icing made with it. But you won't really ever get the real-deal results unless you use hi ratio.

__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

But you won't really ever get the real-deal results unless you use hi ratio.

And there are plenty of folks in here that will attest to that! thumbs_up.gif

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 9

Oh I agree with the whole I ratio thing vs Crisco , Crisco sucks, However my store brand (Foodlion) shotening did better this go around than CK High ratio I was very suprised not greasy at all whipped up very light just like with high ratio

3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #8 of 9

IndyDebi's is awesome. It crusts really well and holds up well to heat. I use store brand shortening and it is smooth and delicious every time!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 9

I made the Buttercream Dream recipe this week for an order to try it, I loved the taste and it was fairly easy to work with but it did not crust on my cake. I read this topic earlier today and i went and spread some leftovers on a plate to see what happened and 5 hours later it has a slight crust but it stuck to paper towel when I rubbed it. I live in Australia, so the shortening we use might be different.

I am interested in what hi-ratio shortening is. Someone mentioned trans-fat, is that animal fat blended with vegetable oils?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%