Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By mlrafuse Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 8:54am by lthiele

mlrafuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrafuse Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone know how to do this? I'd love to try it for my son's birthday cake but have no idea where to start.

5 replies
emmystar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmystar143 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 6

soooo easy! find a picture you want to transfer (coloring books work great) put a sheet of wax paper on top, first trace the pic with black (or whatever) buttercream frosting with a very thin tip, then with thicker tips and different color frosting, color in the picture, (still ontop of the original, it makes it easier) once finished, gently place another sheet of wax paper ontop, smooth out VERY GENTLY! to make sure there are no airbubbles or anything. place in the fridge/freezer till solid, gently take of the top sheet, and flip onto the cake!
When picking your picture remember you will have a flipped image! so any letters you would do after. hope that helped!

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

Is the buttercream thin consistency I take it????

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

I really need to try this someday

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #5 of 6

I tried this about a week or so ago, and mine was a huge disaster, haha. But, learn from my mistakes! Make sure you put a lot of frosting on it, so its thicker and won't break as easily. Make sure its very solidly frozen and work very fast. Have the cake ready to put the transfer on before you pull it out of the freezer.. it will thaw out very quickly!

I was at my local cake supply store today, talking to the owner about my misadventures with it. She advised spraying the wax paper with Pam, and very lightly using a paper towel to take off the excess. That way, its still on there, but not in big droplets.

HTH, let us know how it turns out!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:54am
post #6 of 6

There is a great tutorial in the "How to" section of the articles.

I just tried my first one for a friends daughter and did not find it easy - but practice makes perfect right! I followed all the steps as per the tutorial, just make sure your buttercream is thin enough so that when you flip it, you cant see the lines where you applied the icing. I also rubbed the wax paper with my finger gently before I pulled it off and found that my bodyheat made it easier to remove without pulling any of the outline off.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!!!! lol
Good luck
Lauren icon_razz.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%