Help...car Cake

Decorating By fabulosity Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm by fabulosity

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 12

OK, so I am making a 2005 Mustang cake. I have a bunch of pics of what I want to do...I have started carving the cake and have the basic shape. I don't understand for the life of me how to get tires under this thing! Do I cut holes that size? Surely not...that would look awful with the way that I have carved it. Or is there some way to prop this thing up with cake boards under it enough so that I can make it look like it is suspended. OMG, I am so lost.

I found the link below on a CC post...I may be slow today, or panicked, but I don't get how she propped it up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37331318@N08/sets/72157619119013020/

Please help me!
icon_cry.gif

11 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 12

I've done a car cake before, but the wheels sucked!! But, if you message Bellatheball; she will help you; you have her link to flickr in your post.

You have to put something under the cake to kind of make it look "suspended" (foamcore, etc.)

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 12

the board the cake is sitting on needs to be propped up, you can either put extras boards cut in narrower strips between the wheels, but the board under the car needs to be strong like 1/2 foamcore. or you can build up underneath the whole lenght of the boardwith extra foamcore.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 12

I am making a truck right now, i took 3 dvd cases and taped them together then wrapped in foil stuck it to the board with royal and then my plan is to set the cake on top of the cases and then attatch the tires, the dvd cases are a good size for what I need. I have used cake boxes too just fill them with paper towels or something so they don't collapse. Hope that helps and good luck!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 12

I usually put a thick sheet of styrofoam smaller then the cake board is, just to give it tire space. Sit the cake board on top of that & it will lift up the car. I hope that makes sense.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:08am
post #6 of 12

Are you covering with fondant? I carved out a wheel well (I guess that's what it is called) Then when covered in fondant, I took my ball tool and pushed the fondant up and in and around in the hole and popped the tires in-if that makes sense. Good luck.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #7 of 12

Hi There,

I have made quite a few cars cut have never raised them. When I cut out the cake I allowed for the height of the tyres. You can cut out wheel arches before you cover it with fondant and then put the wheels in - it's important to make sure that the wheels are the right size for the car.
You can then push the wheels inside your cut out wheel arches.

Alternatively, you can cut out the the wheel arch after you have covered it with fondant - I have done it both ways. I have some examples below for you.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1419959.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1418290.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1425867.html

Hope this helps,

fabulosity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I believe that this project was doomed from the start. My black fondant was screwed up and I had to throw it out. Then I used the only other thing that I had, white fondant. I tried to spray the car with black and that died. I then had to paint the whole car black with the only brush that I could find, the second to the smallest. With all the problems that happened the customer came to pick it up 2 minutes after I finished it. I have no knowledge if it ever dried correctly nor did I take pics of it. This was by far the most frustrating cake experience thus far.

Now I know how to suspend it and a better idea of how complicated this process is...but I never want to do it again.

Thanks.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 12

Well how did it look? And what did the customer say?

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulosity

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I believe that this project was doomed from the start. My black fondant was screwed up and I had to throw it out. Then I used the only other thing that I had, white fondant. I tried to spray the car with black and that died. I then had to paint the whole car black with the only brush that I could find, the second to the smallest. With all the problems that happened the customer came to pick it up 2 minutes after I finished it. I have no knowledge if it ever dried correctly nor did I take pics of it. This was by far the most frustrating cake experience thus far.

Now I know how to suspend it and a better idea of how complicated this process is...but I never want to do it again.

Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that!! (gives fabulosity a hug)

For your future car cakes; try the Mike McCarey DVD, CAKENOLOGY. It's a great DVD and he takes you step by step in doing the car cakes.

fabulosity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Well how did it look? And what did the customer say?

The customer was family, so she loved it. I dont have a pic of it and the one that she gave me was taken on a cell phone plus the car was black, you cant see it that well.

fabulosity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 12

[/quote]I'm sorry to hear that!! (gives fabulosity a hug)

For your future car cakes; try the Mike McCarey DVD, CAKENOLOGY. It's a great DVD and he takes you step by step in doing the car cakes.[/quote]

Thanks for the hug...this is an awesome website full of great people.

I was actually looking a pics that someone was taking while following his DVD. If I ever do one of these again I plan on getting that and trying it our first. It does look like he has a great DVD for this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%