Paint On Buttecream???

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 3:38am by ninatat

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 6

Can buttercream be painted on? If so, any ideas on how to do it?

I'm just assuming a mixture of gel coloring and vodka would do the trick but I don't want to mess up on it.

I have a couple that wants a midevil castle cake but they want the brick to be "painted on".

5 replies
saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 6

not sure. I am thinking that if you used a crusting bc, then you could. But I am not sure. Curious to know for my own reference. Good uck

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 6

My friend did a wedding cake for some artist and she painted on buttercream. She thinned her color with water and colored some birds on a limb.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

Can buttercream be painted on? If so, any ideas on how to do it?

I'm just assuming a mixture of gel coloring and vodka would do the trick but I don't want to mess up on it.

I have a couple that wants a midevil castle cake but they want the brick to be "painted on".

I've painted on buttercream, but caution the vodka softens the "crust" on the bc and every now and then I will make a dent. Your ideal solution would be to spray on a brick pattern with a stencil (or create the brick pattern with an imprint mat) and an airbrush, or vodka and coloring in a fine mist bottle.

I've seen some beautifully painted buttercream cakes here on CC. I know it can be done successfully.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it. About a day after I posted this topic I remembered that I have painted on buttercream before. I'm only 40 and my mind is going fast icon_razz.gif .

The groom-to-be designed the cake. He did an awesome job. I'm looking forward to making it for them.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 6

the only thing i know is embrodery, my teacher said she would only do a cake with it for a good friend i like doing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%