Need Help -- Child Death Mentioned

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 10:04am by eilidh

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 10

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I was just contacted tonight by a former neighbor who bought a Bratz birthday cake from me for her niece a couple of years ago. She called to say her niece (10 yrs. old), along with her 5 year old brother, was just killed in a horrible car accident last night. She said when she last talked to her niece a few weeks ago, the little girl asked her if she would bring her a Bratz cake like her birthday cake the next time her aunt came to visit her in Detroit. Her aunt wants to honor her promise to bring a cake. This is such a sad, tragic event. Any ideas or thoughts on what I could do to make this cake special? I thought about making the Bratz girl with angel wings and a halo, but what do you all think? I want to make sure it's respectful and in good taste. This is so hard. I wish it didn't have to be.

Thanks for any help.

9 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 10

How absolutely tragic. I think your idea about the wings and halo would be a nice way to honor the girl's wish and pay tribute to her life.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 10

Oh my goodness! That is so sad to hear.
I think the angel wings and halo will be absolutely beautiful.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 10

Sorry to hear that story. Your idea sounds like an ecellent way.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 10

That's a cute idea! I'd definitely run anything you decide to do by the aunt first though...they may want to have the cake just like they would have had it if she were still alive...you know, sort of the idea of having it just like the little girl would have wanted it to begin with. So just double check.

How horribly sad. *sigh* icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 10
sknnypggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sknnypggy Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 10

oh gosh....i am so sad reading this post, brought tears to my eyes...i Think your Idea is great, but run it by the aunt first. my heart breaks for the family.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 10

Having lost a child (age 15, Oct 199icon_cool.gif, I think you should make the cake that was requested. We have had 10 birthday cakes for Josh - without Josh. They are for HIS birthday so they aren't memorial cakes. They are Happy Birthday, Josh and We Love You cakes.

If the aunt hadn't been specific, I think some of the ideas presented here would be great ones. For this cake, I say do the same Bratz cake that you would have done if the child were going to be present for the event.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:44am
post #9 of 10

So very sad.

Are they doing nothing for her 5 yr old brother? I would hope so. I understand the aunt wants to honour her niece's wish, but as a parent, I would also hope they would be doing something for the boy as well.

Just asking.

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:04am
post #10 of 10

heart breaking...would probably do the cake as it was meant to be also. E x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%