Hibiscus Tutorial

Decorating By Caralinc Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm by newnancy

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 7

I am having trouble sending this. Let me know if the pics do not come through. I may need to send to you your e-mail.

Hibiscus Tutorial
by Carrie Lincoln

Step 1 Tools:
Round cutter
Rolling pin
Cell pads
Round balling tool
Veining tool (see below for a picture in Step 6)
Gum paste glue
Bowl or something to dry your flower in to shape
Towels
Petal Dust
Gum paste
2 paint brushes

Step 2:
Roll out GP almost as thin as you would for a rose. Make 5 petals. I always make extra incase I mess up. Hibiscus uses 5 petals.

Step 3:
Keep cut outs covered so they dont dry out.

Step 4:
Thin and ruffle the edges on this cell pad with the balling tool. You may also use a tooth pic to ripple even more if you want.

Step 6

Here is the veining tool. It is a shell shape from the Wilton GP tool set you see in the picture.

Gently run the veiner over the petal shaping the petal to something like a shell / oval shape. See below for picture. (excuse my colored finger tips) Vein both sides.

Step 5:
On thick cell pad with a large balling tool if you have one the small one will work too. Lightly press down the center to curl the top part of the petal. See picture below.

Step 7:
Color the petal before drying with Petal Dust and a dry brush. Color both sides.

Step 8:

I curl the petal again using the same technique used in step 5 above.

Step 9:
Once all the petals are shaped and colored you can start gluing. Using a small amount of glue *only use what you need* place glue on the bottom of the petal and on the right side on the very edge of the right side. Place the very next petal over the edge of the previous petal. Do this all the way around.

On the last petal be sure to lift the first petal you placed over the last petal you are placing. So, all of the petals should be overlapping one another. See picture below.

Step 10:
To curl or shape petal as you want place a tissue or cotton behind petals or between to shape as you want.

Hibiscus Stamen

Okay so I took another stab a trying this. It looks a little funny but it looks close to what is should look like. You can use the already bought stamens to see picture below yellow hibiscus. Here is how I made a GP one.

Step 1:
Roll 5 small amounts of GP into a ball and roll in the Petal Dust.

Step 2:
Rollout a piece of GP into a sausage to the height of the flower. Past on the 5 balls onto the top of the sausage. I stuck some bought stamens into the side as well. Paint the whole stamen with the Petal Dust.

Step 3
I glue the stamen before I place the third petal on.

Step 5:
Walla Here is the finished Hibiscus

I hope you enjoyed making your flower.

6 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 7

Are there supposed to be photos attached? I cannot see any. But I need to make some in a week or so and would love to go through this.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 7

Can't see any photos. icon_sad.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:26am
post #4 of 7

Thanks. But like others have mentioned....we cant see the pixs icon_sad.gif Or are they not supposed to have pixs?

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 7

I would like to see the pictures too thumbs_up.gif

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 7

Shame the pics didn't come out, I have to make one of these soon and I was going to start experimenting. This would be handy

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 7

Would love to see the pictures. This sounds great. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%