Cny Cake Decorating Contest

Decorating By 7god77 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 12:04am by 7god77

7god77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7god77 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 10

Don't miss this event!! Oct. 3 at The Shops at Ithaca Mall Ithaca, NY from 10:00-6:00. If you would like to compete please e-mail Julie at [email protected] can put "Cake Decorating Contest" in the subject line. There will be 2 kids divisions 1 for 7-12 year olds and 1 for 13-17 year olds. There will also be 4 adult divisions from beginner to professional. There will be quick decorating and structure contest through out the day for both kids and adults. Don't miss the decorating and technique demos from Wilton instructors from the surrounding cities.

Make your vote count!! You will have a chance to vote for your favorite cake. Stop by the activity table with your family and let them try their hand at cake decorating (kids are welcome). They can even eat their creations (provided by Le Garden Bakery).

E-mail for contest details. Looking for 60-100 competitors!!

9 replies
melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #2 of 10

Thanks for sharing this; I just emailed for details. I've been checking here every once in a while, but never seen anything in CNY before so I was quite happy to see this. Sounds like fun!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 10

I emailed too icon_smile.gif It would be neat to see something like that in our area!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:41am
post #4 of 10

I just got an email back from them today.... I'm very disappointed that current and former WMI are not able to participate icon_sad.gif (The event is Wilton sponsored and the word Wilton must even appear on the cake!)

The theme is fall harvest.. they specifically mention not wanting anything halloween related.

The entrant levels are:

Junior: This category is for ages 7-12 years old.
Teen: This category is for ages 13-17 years old.
Adult 1: If you have completed 1 course including a Wilton class, and you have less than 2 years of decorating experience.
Adult 2: If you have completed no more than 3 course including a Wilton class, and less than 4 years of decorating experience.
Adult 3: If you have completed 4 courses including Wilton classes, and less than 5 years decorating experience, less than 2 years of culinary arts classroom instruction, less than 2 years as a decorator in a commercial bakery.
Adult 4: If you have completed over 4 courses/classes including Wilton classes, and more than 5 years of decorating experience, or if you have an in home bakery or commercial bakery business, over 2 years of culinary arts classroom instruction, more than 2 years as a decorator in a commercial bakery.

7god77 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 10

Just to clarify, Wilton is NOT sponsoring our CNY Cake Decorating Contest. They have donated some prizes but that is all. The judging panel is made up of Wilton Instructors so we could not have former and current instructors competing (there would be a huge bias). I am also a wilton instructor and am hosting the event. I require the word "Wilton" on the cake somewhere to help us promote our classes across CNY. There are no current sponsors for our event. We just want to promote cake decorating as well as classes for cake decorating in CNY. I have required no holloween cakes because I feel Fall and Harvest Inspired is a broad category and I want to see what the competitors will come up with. I would like to make you think outside the box a little when it comes to "fall". If halloween was allowed I believe a lot of competitors would tend to choose it without even considering anything else.

I am only able to accept 100 competitors. Don't delay on e-mailing me if you would like to compete. Space is running out fast. I can e-mail you all of the details. Once you have decided what division you can compete in please e-mail me your full name, phone number, e-mail address and division title. It is a FREE event so that is all you have to do to register. I will send a reminder e-mail when we are closer to the event.

7god77 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 10

If you have never taken a decorating class before you can go by how many years of decorating experience you have. Hope this helps those who want to compete but thought they couldn't because they have never taken a formal class before.

7god77 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 10

I have some great news!! We have some awesome prizes going to the winners in each Division. A couple of the prizes include a DVD from Nicholas Lodge, a DVD from Mike McCarey and some great kids baking kits as well as many, many more. We only have 10 more spaces available for the Adult 4 Division. If you are considering competing do not wait to register. E-mail me today at [email protected]. Remember, this is a FREE event. If you are traveling from out of the area and need the exact address to mapquest it let me know. I hope to see many of you there.

Every competitor will be receiving a SWEET goodie bag. Trust me you do not want to miss out on all of the goodies. We will also be sampling out Choco-Pan's many flavors and a new fruit flavored fondant called fondarific!!

The days demos will include a Wilton demo, One Stroke Painting on fondant cake, fondant figurines and a botanically correct Orchid gumpaste demo.

In between each demo we will be holding quick decorating contests for both kids and adults. There are many chances to win prizes so come and compete and have a great time!!

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 10

So.... who's going?

I hope there's a good turnout, this is the first contest I've really heard of in the area.

How's everyone's cakes coming along?

7god77 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #9 of 10

I am so excited! We have 77 competitors for Saturday's competition. I have a lot to get together for Saturday but can't wait to see what everyone's cakes look like. I know that 1 competitor in the professional division's cake is a towering 4 feet tall!! Not sure what designs there will be but I will definately post them after the event. I hope to see some of you Cake Central followers there.

7god77 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #10 of 10

For those of your who are wondering, the CNY Cake Decorating Contest that was held Oct. 3 went great!! We had 68 competitors that arrived on Saturday with cakes that survived the traveling. We had some unbelievably talented cake decorators. To view all of the winning cakes you can go to my blog site at http://juliescakeclass.blogspot.com. You can also go to http://reneephotos.blogspot.com to view a 5 minute slide show of some of the other cakes and events from the day. I hope to see more of you compete in next year's competition. We will be releasing next year's theme in April 2010 so be watching. Thank you to everyone who competed in this year's event.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%