Client Wanting To Transport Her Own Wedding Cake

Business By lmn4881 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm by AZCakeGirl

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 12

I have a client that wants to transport her own wedding cake more than an hour away. I have discussed this with her, but I was wondering if anyone had a form I could get her to sign waiving me of any responsibility once it leaves my place.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

11 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #2 of 12

Doug hade posted a waiver somewhere on here.

I often have clients pick up cakes. They're just too cheap to pay for delivery. So far so good, but I know that it's only a matter of time before I get an angry phone call and requests for a refund. That's why I use a waiver.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 12

Same story as Mensch....I've had clients do the same because of the cost. I can't figure out why you'd want to skip the $25 delivery to transport a $500 cake yourself. Boggles the mind. Anyway, I do have them sign a waiver saying that once it leaves the bakery it's their cake and their problem. Speed bumps, short stops, rough pavement, heavy cake...all their nightmare to deal with now! The only thing I don't like about them doing this is that I don't get a photo of the cake at the venue. I do take one in the bakery, though. It's a good idea to take several just in case they come back and say that something was wrong before they took the cake. You'll have photographic proof it was fine when they picked it up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 12

I know one bakery that flat out tells their customers: "We suggest you let us deliver it. Because if you step outside the door and drop the cake on the sidewalk, all we can do is stand here and laugh at you."

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 12

That is a riot Debi.

Local delivery is included for my cakes. Outside a certain area there is a charge. I tell people it is not an option, except on very small cakes. I have never had any one want to skip the delivery!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 12

The ONLY cakes I allow to leave are sheet cakes, small sculpted cakes, and very small wedding cakes. Anything over 100 servings I require delivery. If they say we want to pick it up I say then find another baker. I work too hard and too long on a cake to be destroyed by someone trying to save by nixing the delivery and set up. I live in a VERY hilly area. Even getting out of the drive from my comm. kitchen is tricky with a tiered cake. Way too many curves and hills to allow someone unexperienced in delivering a cake come and get it. The ONLY way I might consider it is if the family member picking it up is a professional cake artist too, and will take the same care and consideration I would in transporting the cake.

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 12

Could someone help me polease find Doug's waiver just so I know how to word it? I can't seem to find it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I know one bakery that flat out tells their customers: "We suggest you let us deliver it. Because if you step outside the door and drop the cake on the sidewalk, all we can do is stand here and laugh at you."

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #9 of 12
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:14am
post #10 of 12
Quote:

OMG. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif Soooooo funny! I'm going to rip that off and make me a sign! icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 12

I absolutely do not allow my customers to pick up cakes that are more than a sheet cake or 1 tier. And I charge $75 for a 2.5-hour delivery schedule (60 minutes drive, 30 minutes set up, 60 minute drive). I tell them that if they do not allow me to deliver the cake, then I cannot bake or decorate it either. It's a liability issue. *I* would rather be responsible for getting the cake to their site, have the ability to fix any errors that may have occurred during transport, and be assured that I leave the cake ready for the reception. I have the experience and correct vehicle required for transporting the cake, and I do NOT have other things on my mind associated with the wedding.

I have never had a client walk away after giving that spiel.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #12 of 12

It always makes me nervous when someone wants to pick up their cake. I mean, that's my reputation when they tell everyone I did their wedding cake. What if they bump it, or let it sit in the heat & the buttercream starts to melt?

It would be very easy for someone to tell everyone that it was like that when they picked it up - especially since most of the time it would be a friend instead of the bride picking the cake up & they wouldn't want her to think THEY were the ones who messed up her cake. Waiver signed or not, once the word of mouth has spread, there's not much you can do to clear your name if everyone was left with the impression that you provided a "bad" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%