Trying To Make 6In Wheels Out Of Rice Crispy Treats And.....

Decorating By waterlily Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm by waterlily

waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 4

when I covered them in fondant and stood them on end they proceeded to spread and fondant cracked. I was wondering if there was a special recipe to make firmer treats to with stand weight of fondant or maybe get an idea what everybody else is using. I did let them sit and cool for about 2 hours. I used the basic recipe and my 6x2 round pan to get my wheels formed. I have seen some great work in the galleries using rice crispy treats and wondering why my wheels aren't working for me. Thanks in advance!! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 4

I used cake pieces crumbled with some frosting, mash them together to form a 1" thick layer, then used a round cookie cutter to cut out the wheel. Let them set a bit then wrap in fondant (I only wrapped the front and sides of the wheel). Check out the Speed Racer car in my album.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 4

I just noticed that you need 6" wheels...wow! You may need to make it a little bit thicker and maybe add some support to stand it up like mashing a 6" dowel standing upright into it so that the weight is on the dowel and not the actual wheel. You may be able to do the dowel thing with the RKT's too.

waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 4

Angelfood4, Thanks for your help. I tend to think you "hit the nail on the head" with having to make them thicker and adding a taller dowel. I also think that humidity is playing a huge factor in the situation. I have a swamp cooler plus it has been hot and humid outside and is making it very difficult for me to work with fondant and now RKT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%