Square Cakes

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm by Shelly4481

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 11

Where do you guys buy your square cake boards. I'm making a square cake for my aunt and uncles 50th wedding anniversary and I don't know where to get the cake boards. I buy most of my stuff at michaels but they don't carry them. I tried a couple places online and they are out of stock.
Help!

10 replies
newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 11

I bought some at a local bakery, they also sell a limited number of supplies for the do-it-yourself person. Maybe you could buy some rounds & cut them with a xacto knife.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 11

I buy big sheet cake boards and cut the sizes I need.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 11

I also buy the Wilton rectangular ones and cut them down. Just beware, though, that they are EXTREMELY flimsy!!!! For some reason, they don't hold as much weight as the Wilton rounds. I learned this the hard way -- I put an 8" single-tier cake on one and it drooped in the middle, causing the frosting to develop little hairline cracks all over.

So, I'd suggest double or even triple-boarding if you're using the Wilton ones. Others on CC say they use foam core, available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby in the posterboard aisle. You can cut that to the size you need.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone, I had thought of cutting down the sheet cake ones but the bottom layer will be a 16". I don't know why I didn't think of using foam core, think I kind of panicked when I found the cake boards out of stock.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I also buy the Wilton rectangular ones and cut them down. Just beware, though, that they are EXTREMELY flimsy!!!! For some reason, they don't hold as much weight as the Wilton rounds. I learned this the hard way -- I put an 8" single-tier cake on one and it drooped in the middle, causing the frosting to develop little hairline cracks all over.

So, I'd suggest double or even triple-boarding if you're using the Wilton ones. Others on CC say they use foam core, available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby in the posterboard aisle. You can cut that to the size you need.

And turn the cardboards so the grains run in opposite directions. This helps strengthen it.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for that tip, Indydebi -- I'm constantly learning from you!!!!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 11

Lowe's sells a 24X24 pressed board square precut for around $4. You can find it in the aisle right next to the shelving boards. It is almost an inch thick. HTH icon_smile.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 11

I have always cut my cardboards for the square. My friend finds some square ones at a bakery in Louisiana when she goes there, but they are really thick. I have lately used 1/4" foamboard and cut it. It is eaiser to cut than the cardboards.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 11

Would you still use foamcore if using SPS? I know that LeahS says we can use Wilton boards but I'm concerned if I use the Wilton boards on the 14" layer that cracks will occur when I'm stacking.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 11

I use the thick 1/2" foam core for large sheetcakes. If doing a large wedding for the base I use plywood then thinner foam core for the other tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%