Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Cake?

Decorating By meggers Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 12:20am by JaimeAnn

meggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggers Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 14

I'm making a cake for an office baby shower. I'd like to do a tiered cake because I don't get a chance to do them very often. The problem is that there are only about 30 people in the office and not everybody will be at the shower. My original plan was to do 6" and 9" rounds which would be 36 party servings. This weekend I thought is would be cute to have two pairs of baby booties for a topper (coworker's wife is expecting twins). I think I would need to do an 8" round to have enough room for two pairs of booties. Then I would do a 10" round on bottom for stacking which gives me 48 party servings. Is that too much cake? I could go back to my original plan with the 6 and the 9 and put the booties on the cake board. Any thoughts?

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 14

I'm sure people would be happy to take the leftovers home if there's too much cake.

You could also put one pair of booties on the top and the second pair on the board and go with your original sizes.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:23am
post #3 of 14

I don't think there is too much cake in your situation. I agree with Texas_rose that they'd be happy to take it home. It is traditional in my culture to take home a slice of cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 14

There is NEVER too much cake! If a lot of people don't show up, you can cut the slices bigger than normal or just box the cake up and take it home.

But too much cake? Nope. Not happening. Ever.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 14

NEVER too much cake. My office works on any leftovers for days until they are gone!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 14

You could always send the top tier home with the honoree, and only cut the bottom at work.

cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

You could always send the top tier home with the honoree, and only cut the bottom at work.

That's probably the perfect answer!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #8 of 14

I agree that anyone would be thrilled to take home some extra cake. But if you don't want to make such a huge amount of cake, why not just make the baby booties smaller and fit them onto the 6" round?? I just used grannys3angels' template found here in the galleries to make the baby booties on a shower cake, and I resized it so that it would create the size of booties I wanted. FWIW my single pair of booties fit on a 6" round with room to spare; I could have easily fit another pair on there, but certainly downsizing the template wouldn't have made them any harder to create.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:48am
post #9 of 14

I vote for original sizes and placing one pair of booties on top and the second pair on the bottom tier.

However, if it's for an office there really is NO such thing as 'too much.' people will show up unexpectedly, people might have seconds, thirds, etc, ......and anything leftover after that, just leave it in the break room with some paper dishes and plastic utensils, and guaranteed it'll disappear icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:27am
post #10 of 14

So Meggers - what did you decide to do?

meggers Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 14

I think I'm going to do 8 and 10" cakes. Thanks everyone for the input.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 14

That reminds me of that Country song ... hahahah

Too much cake ? icon_biggrin.gif

Are you making the booties from Gumpaste ? I did some baby converse and the Mom saved them and put them in a clear acrylic box and they are on a shelf in the baby's room. That would be a nice little keepsake to go along with the cake. I think I am going to do that for every baby shower now!

meggers Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 14

Yep, I was going to do the booties out of gumpaste. I might try the doing the Converse shoes instead. They are just so darn cute.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:20am
post #14 of 14

Oh the Converse were a huge hit at the baby shower I just did. It was a co-ed shower and all the men went nuts over them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%