Need Help Separating Room For Wedding!

Lounge By turtle3264 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm by 7yyrt

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

My friend is getting married next week and she needs an inexpensive way to separate her reception from the rest of the room. The room is just way too big. She was suppose to order room dividers, but waited too late to rent them. She doesn't want to buy them. Any suggestion would be great!

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 7

how high is the ceiling?
how wide is the space to be divided (ie width of divider needed)
BUDGET?
does it have to entrances (portals) so guests can go from one side to the other?
does it have to be soundproof or light proof?
what's happening on the other side?
-------------
can offer a myriad of ideas, all which start with Budget (and oh yeah, time you have to set it all up)

for example:

tall and short potted plants can make a living (or artificial) hedge that will block off an area and then you can even string party lights in it too. Possibly could rent the plants.

=========

if ceiling is low enough, could hang drapery -- this could be the old bedsheet trick -- large white (or colored or patterned) sheets. for a pole -- use PVC plumbing pipe and just run a long piece of rope inside it that is long enough to come out of each end and go up to hooks on ceiling. Party lights hung BEHIND the fabric will give it a neat soft glow.

variation: instead of pipe -- a long piece of 2x4 and then staple the sheets to it. if someone is good at working with fabric they could even staple it in a box pleat pattern or some other pleat pattern.

substitute material: the rolls of plastic table cloth -- could match the table clothes actually being used.

========

way more expensive: go to lowes or home depot and get bifold closet doors. then stand them up in a zig-zag pattern. can lock each set of doors to the next by taking a wooden paint stirring stick and cutting it in half -- screw half at top and half at bottom. These doors come in all kinds of styles from solid to louvered to ones that even have glass inserts. but...big $$$$$

if use louvered or solid doors --- could even turn it into a photo gallery wall of the couple. just print out photos on cared stock and stick some kind of ribbon around edge and then tack to solid or use bent open paper clips to hook on louvered.

=========

then the really LOW rent method -- the BIG sheets of blue insulation foam used on houses. Don't laugh! all the decos for last year's prom were made with that stuff.

CHEAP and very easy to shape.

example - the students cut them to look like paladian french doors. then used cellophane on the back side to cover the openings and then hung party lights behind as well to make it look like a starry sky. The fronts were painted white with plain latex house paint.

the panels are EASILY taped together (duct tape on the back) and paintable tape on the front.

Very easy to support or make free standing.

----

HTH

-----

ps if close enough to here I live on the southern edge of NC just off 95, I could come "snoopervise" icon_rolleyes.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 7

At my hotel I have seen people rent pipe and drape and section off a room. For one wedding, a set designer came in and did what Doug suggested-assorted large potted plants (mostly palm tree types) with little up-lights shining into them. It looked stunning. Also, I've seen people do white lattice with ivy and white lights.

HTH!

Doug Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

At my hotel I have seen people rent pipe and drape and section off a room. For one wedding, a set designer came in and did what Doug suggested-assorted large potted plants (mostly palm tree types) with little up-lights shining into them. It looked stunning. Also, I've seen people do white lattice with ivy and white lights.

HTH!

lattice is SO pretty....

BUT....

it is not self supporting and needs a frame built to hold it up.

====

the rent pipe/drape option is really easy if you have a place that caters to the business industry or trade shows -- you want the pipes and drapes they use for the quicky booths....

you might also be able to borrow those kinds of booths from a local college (they use them for recruitment).

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 7

Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas! I haven't actually seen the room, but since she was going to use room divider screens, I'm guessing the space she needs to cover is not that high. The wedding is in Hartsville, SC. My mom lives in Wallace, right near the NC state line.

Doug Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 7

that's not even 2 hours

well, I'm doing a "stay-cation" this year...so, could stop in.

bribe me with chocolate icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%