Can I Refrigerate My Satin Ice Covered Cake?...

Decorating By cindww Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm by mtaylor10099

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hey all!
I've got a 3 tier cake (10", 8" and 6") fondant covered cake that I will decorate and assemble tomorrow for delivery on Saturday morning. The wedding is not until Sunday afternoon. Can this cake safely be refrigerate? As I said, it is to be 3 tiers covered in white Satin Ice with a cascade of fondant/gumpaste roses down it and pink fondant ribbon border..
Any advice would be appreciated!

7 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 8

Yes, Satin Ice refrigerates nicely.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 8

Yes, I do it all the time.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 8

Hi cindww,

You can def refrigerate the cake, but I don't know about the flowers. I just did a cake this past weekend and refrigerated it but it didn't have flowers on it. Good luck.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 8

Can anyone else help with this? Have you refrigerated a cake with gumpaste/fondant roses? Thanks!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 8

Yes you may refrigerate satin ice covered cake, I do it 100% of the time. I have refrigerated roses and bows with no problems although I suggest you put it after.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #7 of 8

If the flowers are gumpaste and well-dried, they will be fine.

If they're 50-50 and well-dried they will probably also be fine, but it's hard to say for sure since we don't know just how dried they are. The more gumpaste, the better.

Either way you should make sure that when the customer refrigerates it, it is not cover in plastic or anything that could trap in the moisture.

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 8

So do you have to put the cake in a box, or cover with anything? Or do you just stick it in the fridge? How long can you refrigerate it?

Does this apply only to Satin Ice or can you refrigerate all types of fondant regardless of the maker?

Does anyone have a fondant recipe that can be refrigerated once it applied to the cake?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%