Mexican Blanket Design On Cake

Decorating By Sox-n-Pats Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 12:54pm by this-mama-rocks

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:54am
post #1 of 7

I have an order for a Mexican themed cake. It's a 30th birthday, so she's doing a Quicenera x2. Cute aye?

Anyway, we have the design- chili pepper border, sombrero and a mexican blanket draped over and margarita candles on top. The sketch looks really cute.

Sombrero- no problem- got it figured out, chili pepper candies- done

The Mexican blanket- freaking out. How should I do the stripes and design. I have tried doing strips of colors fondant and "glueing" them together in the past- and it just didn't work. Plus, this one has to drape and that would split apart.

Should I use 50/50 and use a stencil and airbrush?

Would the stripes work if use the pasta machine instead of jsut a rolling pin?

Yikes. I don't want it to look "cheesy" so any ideas would be a blessing!

Thanks all!

-sox

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:02am
post #2 of 7

What about "gluing" the strips onto another larger piece of fondant? That's what I'd do, then roll over it very slightly to blend it all into one piece.

lauritasolorzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauritasolorzano Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 7

I have done it before and you should definitely adhere the strips to a larger piece of fondant. It will look great.

Laura

Sox-n-Pats Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 7

Thanks a bunch! sounds like that is what I shall do!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #5 of 7

Don't know if I am "too late" to help, but I did a Mexican blanket that was draping down the tiers. I used a clay gun to extrude various sizes of thick, colored fondant, laid them together, then rolled the fondant thinner, and the voila - striped blanket. It didn't separate when I draped it down the tiers, either.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363028

Sox-n-Pats Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:05am
post #6 of 7

Nope, not too late icon_smile.gif The cake is still 2 weeks til due date. I'm starting with the details now since I have 2 due back to back.

I don't have an extruder. Anything else that would work? Do you think rolling out "logs" would work in the same way??

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 7

Yep, it should work fine!

I can't wait to see it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%