Cake Boss 7/20/09--She Lost 7 Pounds?

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm by lngo

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:33am
post #1 of 14

How did all those employees of Carlo's Bakery lose so much weight in one week? Several people lost SEVEN POUNDS each, and one guy lost FIFTEEN!!!! That's a lot of weight to lose in such a short period of time. Did they all have weights in their pockets at the first weigh-in?
Anyone on CC ever lose that much weight in one week? If so, HOW?

13 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:41am
post #2 of 14

If you retain a lot of water, when you start dieting, it's the first thing that goes. They should not see that kind of loss for more than two weeks in a row. After that, it should slow down to a moderate 2-3 pounds a week. BUT......depending on what they are doing to lose weight, it could be possible. Are they exercising like on Biggest Loser and have a nutritionist with them at all times?....not impossible.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:42am
post #3 of 14

If you have an abundance to loose and you do a South Beach phase one you can drop some weight.

Yes I have lost 10-15 pounds in two weeks so that would be 5-7 in one week. (Phase one is two weeks long--it works!)

I mean the more you have to loose the more you can drop those first two weeks.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 14

It will be almost impossible for everybody to loose weight in one week no matter how varied the volume.I believe the weight loss challenge was on for more than one week before the episode was aired but may be they didn't tell us.You know they need those little extra drama to keep us watching.Sometimes those tv programs are not aired in ordered it was recorded.Challenge started for example,result episode was recorded 3 weeks after.I'm Gguessing.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 14

When I go back to "eating healthy" or the weight watchers plan, after being my usual gluttonous self for a while (lol) I usually lose 7-10 pounds the first week without even exercising... it's pretty common, especially for people who have a lot of weight to lose.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 14

When I did weight watchers a few years ago I too lost 7 to 9 lbs the first couple of weeks.

It's definitely not uncommon to lose a lot of water weight when you first start dieting and exercising.

After about the first month my weight loss numbers dropped to about 2 to 4 lbs a week at the weigh ins.

I'm happy to report that in total I went from 219lbs to 135 lbs and I'm still maintaining!! It's been both the hardest yet most rewarding "life style" change.......but for me it's a daily battle because I love to eat.

So yes, it is entirely possible to show big numbers on the scale at the beginning, especially for big men like the guy that lost 15lbs. Do you ever watch the Biggest Loser? Those people lose 20 to 25 lbs the first week! icon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 14

I don't see why it isn't possible. They are bigger men and losing 7 pounds isn't uncommon. There was a time I lost 20 pounds in less than a month and I remember that the first weeks were the most.

I have actually lost a total of 105 pounds and gained back 44 (currently--last week's check). Now I am struggling to go back but I know I can do it.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 14

I didn't think any of the female employees had a lot of weight to lose. And one WAS caught with a weight in her pocket (or was that just for TV drama?) I just find it odd that so many people lost around 7 pounds so quickly. I think they said several times that the challenge was for one week. I guess if they each stopped eating bakery goodies for 7 days they would all lose weight.
As we've posted numerous times before, I really wish the show would focus more on the caking, and less on the other stuff.
The FAO Schwarz cake was adorable. I love the way they steam the fondant to make it shiny. Glad to see they used the elevator.
The beach club cake was fun. I liked the fondant man with the sunburn.
Love the giant cannoli! I always wondered how they fried so many shells at once and now I know.
There was too much "TV drama" over the dragon heads. Didn't Buddy ever peek at what those very talented employees were doing to check the size of the dragons?
And there was also too much TV drama over the unbaked cake layers.
My suggestion to everyone at Carlo's Bakery....write things down! That would improve communication and eliminate some of the confusion. It seems as if there is a major mis-communication every week.
But they sure make beautiful cakes!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 14

I really think they do it for the drama. There is no way that someone would leave cannoli frosting out in a room that is 100 degrees. That's just plain stupid. No one has money like that to waste. That was a ton of stuff.

They didn't really spend a lot of time showing the dragon cake. I thought they could have used a third cake or something else. And I never heard them mention the weight loss in the 10:00 show. Which I thought was weird, because the 10:30 show (which aired last week) was like we are going to be losing major weight and having a huge competition.

Just my thoughts. I still LOVE the show.

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 14

I've done low-carb on and off for the last ten years. If I really want to drop weight fast, I go on a "meat fast". Nothing but meat for 3 days and I can easily lose 7lbs in 3 days.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 14

Really, nothing but meat at all?! How does that work?

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 14

The first thing your body burns is carbs. If you dont eat any, you lose! A lot of it is water at first, but then its fat! It's hard to do, you have to have great willpower. I have to be in the right frame of mind to do it!

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 14

If their weight loss is anything like it was on the first season of Wrecked (speed channel) The ones who stuff their pockets more lost the most weight. (there was also a weight loss challenge)

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 14

It seems like a while since I saw this episode, but I could've sworn that they recorded starting weights WITH shoes on and the final weights WITHOUT shoes. Or am I making this up? My mind isn't what it used to be, but I know my shoes alone weigh about 2-3 pounds (depending on the pair).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%