Please Comment On Toy Story Cake Project

Decorating By lauritasolorzano Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 4:17am by lauritasolorzano

lauritasolorzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauritasolorzano Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 14

Hi

A week ago, we received a request from a client who wants a toy story themed cake. She wants an "EXTRAORDINARY" cake. It will be for 200 people and there is no price limit. I bought the toy story characters to include them in the cake. I am attaching a picture of the characters with the dummies for 200 servings. And another picture of the sketch with the cake decorations. The characters will be placed where they are on the dummies. This cake is for next saturday. Please comment. I will really appreciate it. Would you consider this project to be extraordinary enough?
LL
LL

13 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 14

The plan looks really nice. I am not sure what the top part is though. Is it a spaceship or a house? I think the placement of the dummies is well done (I would love to do a cake with the smililar look). Are the round tiers going to sit on the bed?

Overall, I think it is an extraordinary cake if it is done right.

Good luck.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 14

Are you going to do the rocket like Buzz Lightyear's rocket or like the one you drew? Are these to be seperate cakes or are they stacked? Just trying to get a little 411.

lauritasolorzano Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 14

The double 6" tiers on the back are going to be a spaceship. I got the design from a plastic container for the green aliens at the Disney store. They are going to be sitting on a small wood base that will have the bottom shape of the spaceship.

Laura

lauritasolorzano Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 14

The cake will be covered on fondant. LaBellaFlor: maybe you can help me on the spaceship design. Buzz's ship seems complicated for me. I was thinking in maybe making something more simple. Do you have any suggestions?

Laura

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 14

In just MHO, if the lady says she wants "EXTRAORDINARY" & money is no object, I'm thinking of an actual Buzz Lightyear rocket, cause as far as the movie goes, you know his rocket, but you don't really recall what the little alien's rocket ship looks like (the crane machine they were in was shaped like the rocket you drew, got a lot kids, seen a lot of Disney). If you think about the angles of Buzz's ship, its a lot of straight angles (its actually a box that he came in shaped like a rocket), so it may not be as hard as you think to carve. I think you might want to do a little more research, watch the movie, you might get more ideas. So, what I picture, just my opinion & vision, for "EXTRAORDINARY" & if she REALLY means "MONEY NO OBJECT" (cause I can come up with pricey if the budget allows, lol), I picture the scene when Woody first meets Buzz. It's Andy's bed & Buzz's ship (his packaging) is on it, with Buzz & Woody looking at each other, then you have the other toys looking from the side of the bed (Ham, Rex, Slinky, Bo Peep, & Potatoe Head). The alien & the penguin squeak toy were more like extras, but not featured as much as the other toys I listed. That shows more of the characters of the movie & reflects an important part in the movie (can you tell we like Disney,lol). Thats the best I can think of right now if "MONEY IS NO OBJECT".

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:44am
post #7 of 14

I drew a sketch of this cake for you...please see my photos. I basically built upon your design, in the way that I would envision it.

ETA link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1418785

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 14

While I like the bed, having it infront of the sky/rocket cake just doesn't make sence. I don't like the sky/rocket cake placed right on the bed either. I would like to see the sky/rocket cake suspended over the bed with some clear tube seperator. I would love to see the boy under the covers sleeping on the pillow and the toys around and the sky/rocket cake over head behind him. I also agree that Buzz's rocket has to look as close to the real deal as possible. It would be great if you could come close to mimicing the scale in the movie and have Woody climbing up the side of the bed by rope with Woody's horse looking up kind of worried at him from the floor. I would go all out and start making all the toys in scale and get them on there in reference to their characters.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #9 of 14

It looks cute to me! I'm sure that it will turn out great!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:38am
post #10 of 14

Cupcakeco - I love your sketch! Very nice of you to do that!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:43am
post #11 of 14

Awesome job on the sketch cupcakeco, I really like seeing buzz's spaceship on the top tier and the whole cake on the bed. I agree with the other poster about making the figures but as the cake is due this Saturday that may not be possible.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 14

I personally love it. I agree that it'd be worthwhile to do Buzz's ship. But other than that, I really like this design.
P.S. How come i never got 200 people parties and "price is no object" cakes when I was a kid? icon_lol.gif

lauritasolorzano Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:08am
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone for all your comments. i wasn't able to access the forum yesterday, I don't know why. I might not be able to change the general design of my original sketch, because the cake stand has already been made. But I will definitely consider the design for the buzz lightyear spaceship.
Cupcakeco: Your design is great. Thank you for your improved idea. You are a fabulous artist.

Laura

lauritasolorzano Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:17am
post #14 of 14

Something else that I plan to add to the cake are sparklers to the bottom part of the spaceship. I'm thinking it might be a nice detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%