Cookie Bouquet-How Do You Get The Cookies To Stick?

Baking By jules5000 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm by bobwonderbuns

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 11

Yesterday, I tried to make a cookie bouquet and I used Royal icing and stuck the sticks onto the back of the cookies on top of the glob of Royal icing and waited like forever and it felt like they were quite firm. So I put them in the floral foam and one by one they started falling off. Is there anyway I can know they are ready and/or is there something else I can use? I would like to be able to make cookie bouquets, but obviously I need help.

10 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 11

I stick bamboo skewers into the cookies - it can be done before cooking or after. I prefer to do it after, as soon as the cookies come out of the oven, and by the time they've cooled down, the skewers are firm. If there are any that are a bit loose, just pipe a little royal icing into the hole and leave to dry.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 11

there are some really good tutorials on karenscookies.net and she has a lot of cutters you can buy that are really cute

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 11

Sometimes I "glue" mine onto the back. But I wait for 24 hrs before picking them up. The best way is to insert before baking

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 11

Sometimes I "glue" mine onto the back. But I wait for 24 hrs before picking them up. The best way is to insert before baking

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 11

I put the cut out cookie onto the stick and then back them. After they are cooled, I then put the royal icing on the back over the stick for extra glue strength. Then I let that dry overnight or longer if needed before I put them in the bouquet. Haven't had one fall off yet. icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 11

i cut my cookies a bit thicker and insert a thin bamboo skewer twisting slightly then bake-haven't had a prob-if the stick pops out a bit of the back you just form a small dough ball and pat it on then bake. i let mine set at least a day before trying to make the bouquet that way they have plenty of time to dry and firm up. no falling off yet icon_smile.gif hope that helps

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 11

I insert before baking. Then I gently press the cookie dough onto the stick so make sure it's all stuck together well. Never have loose sticks.

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 11

I had problems when I tried inserting the stick before baking- so I always do it after now. And I use regular lollipop sticks, just stick em in right after they come out of the oven. If any feel like they are loose, I just pipe a little royal icing on them around the edge. No problem!

I've also heard of people using a little corn syrup before they stick the sticks in to keep them sticky (I wonder if I could fit one more "stick" in that sentance?) I've never done it, but have heard of it!

KeeshKeesh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeeshKeesh Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:35am
post #10 of 11

The first time I made these I rolled the dough out a bit thick then stuck a bamboo skewer half way into the cookie then bake. They seem to stay firm that way for me. Here's how mine turned out http://keeshinhd.blogspot.com/search/label/Recipes

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 11

Louise has an excellent tutorial on this on her blog cakejournal.com: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cookie-lolly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%