My 1St Disaster :(

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm by Kimmers971

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 3

Was trying to make my first carved cake, a coffee mug. Well thinking I used a denser cake than I usually do was good enough. I proceeded to torte and stack and carve. So far, so good. The I put on the fondant and to make it neat I had the cake fat side down, that way I'd get a good clean edge on the top rim of the cup. Well when I flipped it into the right position the fondant started to sag and within minutes the cake was settling and buldges started icon_cry.gif . I had to make do and try to fix it the best I could. I didn't have the time or money to start from scratch and was just about out of fondant.

To top it off we don't have the air conditioners in the windows yet and today was super humid and hot. A fan just wasn't cutting it for me - I was miserable by the time I got done with what I did thumbsdown.gif

Here's a picture of the mess. There will be a sugar cube in the center of the "coffee" with Mickey Mouse sitting on top. With luck that part comes out so good the rest of the disaster won't be as noticible icon_redface.gif
LL

2 replies
KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 3

I think it's adorable - coffee cups are "bulgy" anyway. Cute colors - cute Mickeys, it will be very cute w/the sugar cube, etc. Hang in there, bulges happen, enjoy!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! My friend and her family loved it (flaws and all) icon_biggrin.gif And I know to do things a little different next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%