Need "timeline" Advice On Preparing Cake

Decorating By flourbud Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 5:45am by Rylan

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 3

I've seen conflicting advice on this. Will someone please tell me if this is the correct sequence. I bake the cake, cool it, wrap it, then freeze it. A couple days later I thaw, then unwrap it (??) and do a crumb coat. I let it sit to crust over, rewrap and put in frig until I am going to do the finished buttercream coating. Is this right? I'm doing my first wedding cake in October and am already stressing. H E L P !

2 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #2 of 3

If you plan on baking ahead then yes you would bake the cake and freeze it. I always wrap in a couple of layers of saran wrap and then in heavy duty foil before freezing it. I thaw in the fridge while still wrapped otherwise you will get condensation all over the cake. Some cake decorators crumb coat while some do not so this step will depend on how you do it. What I do is fill the cake the night before with whatever filling I am going to use then I let it sit overnight so that it can settle, that way if there is any bulging it can be taken care of before it i iced. If I have an especially crumbly cake then I do crumbcoat but I usually ice it within a couple of hours.

HTH!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:45am
post #3 of 3

I unwrap the cakes when I am ready to torte, fill and crumbcoat (I usually skip this step and coat fully right away). Once coated, I let it crust and loosly cover it in plastic wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%