ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 12

if you take the egg out of the shell can you freeze them. thanks

11 replies
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 12

yes, you can. add a little salt, scramble a little, pour into ice cube tray, freeze then put in ziplock bag and use when you need.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 12

Yes you can. You need to beat the egg up a little bit, just until it all comes together, then freeze it in ice cube trays or a muffin tin. Put 1 beaten egg per cubby. After the eggs are frozen solid you can then put them into a freezer bag. icon_smile.gif

Lea

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:29am
post #4 of 12

We add either a bit of salt or a bit of sugar, depending on if we want to use them for a sweet or savory dish in the future... I also freeze them by the dozen, but I more often use them for scrambled eggs, so it doesn't matter so much!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:36am
post #5 of 12

When I've done this in the past, it has altered the texture of the egg, but I never added salt or scrambled them. Does this make the difference? icon_confused.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 12

I've had good luck with the whites, but the yolks seemed kind of funky. I may have just been too impatient and not let them thaw enough.

I've never tried whole eggs. I seem to always have spare yolks from making white cake or spare whites from making lemon curd. I just can't stand to throw them down the drain.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:58am
post #7 of 12

Whites freeze easily without affecting their texture. Yolks...not so much. Thus the pp's suggestions to mix them with either salt or sugar, which is supposed to stop this from happening. Here's some info on freezing eggs! http://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Eggs

FWIW even when I added sugar, I had trouble with my yolks (I attribute this to user error, for sure). I just made a white cake tonight and chucked 4 of them down the drain thumbsdown.gif rather than waste my time trying to save 'em...and invariably failing. I have to remind myself that it was only $1.50 a dozen...so my eggs are 12.5c each. Yolks are 6.25c each...so I really only wasted 25 cents. Just some perspective!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 12

ok thanks so much, when mine are getting close to the experation date, i was just wondering, so i don't have to throw them out.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 12

When you mix the salt or sugar into the yolks, it will make the texture a little grainy.

My hubby makes omelets with the whites, so I freeze 6 yolks to a bag. I use one bag to a cake mix instead of whole eggs. Makes it a little heavier, but tasty and easier to carve.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I have to remind myself that it was only $1.50 a dozen...so my eggs are 12.5c each. Yolks are 6.25c each...so I really only wasted 25 cents. Just some perspective!

Ceshell, I know you're right! I usually get my eggs for $1/dozen, so I know it's not much. But I was raised by a "depression baby" mother who taught me never to waste anything, especially food. We still tease her that she has every paper bag she's ever gotten in a store. She washes and reuses her aluminum foil. She's a very thrifty woman!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 12

Well see, I go the other way. That 4 egg yolks can be somebody's breakfast or dessert.

Of course I'm a cheap old lady just like Ruth0209's mom.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 12

Heehee, well even though I can rationalize that 25cents away...I do admit that it still kills me to throw it out, just knowing that it is FOOD.

But I agree, I do hate wasting food...or anything for that matter. I have been known to wash my aluminum foil and ziploc bags, too icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%