Rubber Stamps For Fondant Embossing?

Decorating By madras650 Updated 8 Mar 2013 , 8:45pm by cookie smalls

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone used the stamps for embossing on fondant? Did you emboss before or after you applied the fondant to the cake. Did the impressions stay or did the rebound back out?

7 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 8

after so you can get the pattern where you want it. you wouldn't press like you would on a paper, just enough to get the thinned gel to adhere

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 8

I use them all the time. Emboss right after you cover the cake and they should stay. The best stamps are the ones with more lines rather than the ones with lots of flat surfaces -- the stamps with more flat surfaces don't give good impressions. icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 8

I've read that rubber stamps aren't food safe. Apparently the clear acrylic ones are safe but the rubber ones on the wooden blocks aren't.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 8

I use the new rubber stamps on my cupcakes, without a problem. I roll out my fondant cut my circles and then emboss with stamp. Press a little hard to get your clean impression, just not too hard that it will go through the fondant. lol I don't know about it not being food safe and all but I could imagine that if it new there shouldn't be a problem. But I'm pretty sure someone with an FDA background will come on this topic and say everything you shouldn't do and why. So we'll just wait to hear from them. lol

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 8

Yep, there's always someone around to try and ruin our fun! icon_lol.gif No matter, I'll just direct them to the CIA book Cake Art, chapter nine! icon_biggrin.gif Or maybe Alan Dunn's book The Wedding Cake Decorator's bible, page 55. (Okay I'll stop now...) icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 8

This is where I read about it: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-638272.html

Before I read it, I was happily stamping away...but now I'm only using the rubber stamps on fondant-covered cake boards, not on anything anyone will eat. I know it's not as much fun worrying about what's safe and what's not...but personally I would hate to cause harm to someone, even accidentally.

cookie smalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie smalls Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8

on craftys the cake decorating course one of the teachers on there uses rubber stamps on the wooden block from Michaels...I doubt she would use something that wasnt food safe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%