Please Read My Cake Quote. Am I Asking To Much?

Business By madras650 Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm by Doug

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbask

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

8" square, cut in 2x2x2, = 4 rows by 4 columns = 16 servings.
If these are 2 layer cakes, the 8" serves 32.

(I know this is an old topic and by posting to it, I'm resurrecting it, but) These serving estimates make no sense to me.

I'm looking at a 2-layer 8" cake right now, and there is no way on earth I would bring this to a birthday party and expect to feed 32 adults with it.

32 servings based on 1x2x4" industry standard servings. I cut wedding cake this size all the time. People actually ask me for a SMALLER piece as I'm cutting the cake. This is also what the price of the cake is based on. KFC's serving size is 2 pieces of chicken. If you don't see how 16 pc bucket feeds 8 people, then you'd have to buy more chicken.

If your family cut cakes larger than 1x2x4, then they need to plan to pay for more cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #32 of 32

industry standard serving: 8 cubic inches of cake (that go straight to your hips, thighs and tummy!)

so....

whether its a single layer cut 2wx2lx2w or a double layer cut 1wx2lx4h -- you still get 8 cubic inches a serving.

that being said, the OP said it was stacked squares of 8 & 10

usually those are 4" tall tiers.

so......8x8x4 cut 1x2x4 = 8x4 = 32 servings
& 10x10x4 cut same way = 10x5 = 50 servings

total of 82 servings.

so....the original OP was being generous in her serving sizes and under estimating and charging per the industry standard size.

(for the math nerds -- she was giving about 25% more per serving than the standard size)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%