What Do Y'all Do?

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm by cylstrial

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 15

So in the never ending quest to help the bottom line, I am asking for ideas.

When you ice a tier that is going to be stacked (a 6 inch that is going to be on an 8 inch for example) I know that the 6 inch is on a 6 inch board, but what do you put the cake on to actually get the icing attached?

Currently, I am using another 8 or 10 inch cake board underneath so that I can ice and have something level to use with my bench scraper. I am wasting so many boards!!!!

What options are out there that are washable?

14 replies
3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 15

I'm just a newbie, but I usually just place wax paper down under the tier while icing it so that I'm not wasting another board.

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 15

I just ice right on my turn table and then place the cake on a larger board to put in the fridge.

HTH
Danielle

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 15

I ice on a cake board and wash it after each use. It is a cardboard one and I just scrap off any extra icing on it and wipe it with a damp towel. It is a greaseproof cardboard so it is easy to wipe clean.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 15

I'd either put it right on the turntable or use the bottom of a round tart pan... either one is washable icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 15

I usually just put it on my turntable as well or a larger plastic plate (like the Wilton kind)

I too used to use a larger cake board, but I felt like I was wasting them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCG

I just ice right on my turn table ....

Me too. If you're going thru a lot of boards, you might look into buying them in bulk. WAY cheaper than buying them onsy-twosy.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 15

right on the turntable.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 15

I use a tuff board and they just wipe clean. Easy-peasy!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 15

I put Tuffboard cake circles and rectangles on my turntable and place the cake tier on top of that.

I only use the plastic corrugated Tuffboards for this (I think they're too exensive and too slippery for use under tiers).

Being plastic, I can wash them well, dry them, and re-use them over & over again. I've had the same ones for over a year and they look as good as the day I bought them.

I got them at Hobby Lobby with coupons.

Rae

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 15

I went to Home Depot and got a 2 ft square of clear plastic that's about 1/4" thick. I just use that. Then when I'm done I scrape any icing off into the bowl (or trash!) and wash. It's ready for the next use!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz3

I use a tuff board and they just wipe clean. Easy-peasy!!

Ditto.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 15

Jillmakescakes, good question. Thanks for asking. I hadn't thought about tuffboards, but will try that to save a few trees! icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 15

You can use those flexible plastic cutting boards that you get in a package of two or three at the dollar store. They go in the dishwasher, too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 15

I went and got contact paper and put it on the top and bottom of foam boards (that I cut into the right sizes). Anyway, I just wash the contact paper off. And now I don't have to waste cake boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%