??? Cake Extender ???

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 3:35am by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 5

I use a cake exender recipe that another CCer had menioned using. It works greater, definitely yields a firmer cake.
It consists of taking 1 box of cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk and 1/3 cup of softened butter.

My question is, I like to use the Duncan Hines Classic White, which when made according to the package directions call for 3 large egg "whites".

Do you think that I could use four egg whites and 1 egg instead of four eggs ? I am concerned about using whole eggs and not being able to maintain the pure white cake color ??? icon_cry.gif

4 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 5

The egg whites in the mix are to make the cake as white as possible. If you want white white then add around 5 large egg whites I'd say. Do you have the carton kind? You can just measure them by tablespoons then.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 5

Hey lorrieg see that's what I was kinda of thinking too ... but thought that denisty/firmness depended on using an actual whole egg ... but I do want it to remain white so I am going to try extra egg whites thumbs_up.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 5

Any yolk will change the colour. Maybe one whole egg wouldn't make much difference but I think two whites instead should do the trick.

Density shouldn't be a problem compared to a non-extended cake mix. icon_smile.gif

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #5 of 5

Ok lorrieg !!!
You've convinced me ... I'm going for it !!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%