4" Deep Pans

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 2:06am by erinalicia

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking into buying some square pans for a cake coming up in September. I found the 4" deep pans by Fat Daddio's and was wondering if anyone has used these.

I like the idea of not having to bake so many layers and I can just torte one single cake and get the perfect height. I am assuming that a heating core is necessary with pans this deep.

I'd love to hear some feedback before I go and buy a bunch of pans. I need 4 sizes (14, 12, 10, icon_cool.gif.

Thanks!

4 replies
christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 5

I own the round ones and so far the largest size I have used out of the set is the 12''. I placed a fower nail upside down in the center, instead of the heating core. Took a little over an hour to bake.
For the larger sizes I figure someting bigger than a flower nail would be needed. Or maybe more then one flower nails straticgicly placed.
I prefer the use of the flower nail as it only leaves a tiny hole.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 5

I have used both three and four inch deep pans (although not FD at these heights). The real challenge is getting the middle baked through without overcooking the edges. I haven't been very happy with my results, despite using cores, baking strips, fiddling with temp and cook time. I now use 2" deep pans for everything except fruit cakes. I still use the core on anything 10" or bigger.

I'm sure that you'll find a lot of people who like the deeper pans, but I think there is just too much trial and error with them.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

The trick to baking in deep and or large pans is to cook slower for longer period of time. Since there is more batter in the pan, it will take more time for the heat to get to the center of the cake. Pre-heat and bake at a temperature lower than normal. I go 325 instead of 350. My cakes are perfect every time.
I keep an oven themometer in my oven to ensure that its always at the temperature I want it.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 5

I already bake at 325 for all of my cakes. The deeper pans will run me about $30-$40 more than the 2" deep pans... just wondering if the trade off of not having to bake two separate layers is worth the extra money.

My long term goal is to have a second kitchen for all of my baking, so I want to get good pans. I'm just trying to decide.

I appreciate the input, everyone! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%