Black Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By rdubrow Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm by VickiG

rdubrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdubrow Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 17

What is the best way to get black icing without using a jar of color dye? Does the wilton color spray work very well? I have a two tier over the hill cake to do and they have requested all black frosting. Thanks.

16 replies
pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 17

It doesn't take as much black coloring to get black icing if you start with chocolate icing! icon_smile.gif

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 17

I agree with pump_jc. If you start with chocolate icing... it won't take much at all. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 17

Great question. thumbs_up.gif
I started with the chocolate frosting for black and it does come out perfect, but what if you don't want the chocolate taste? I have americolor colors and the black gets bitter tasting to me. I have seen other posters suggest just buying the Wilton's black frosting. I will probably do that for now on but it makes you wonder how they get such good-tasting black frosting. icon_confused.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 17

Does anyone have a good chocolate buttercream frosting recipe? I've made some buttercream and added cocoa powder with no specific amounts and it tasted horrible.. It even came out sort of crusty.. I am making a black and pink cake in a few weeks and chocolate is one of the frosting that they requested.. First they said brown and pink any flavor any kind.. NOW they say black and pink with at least one cake being chocolate.. Sooooo here I am trying to figure out how I am going to do this.. I first thought of all strawberry and adding a little bit of red dye to the cake mix to get a darker pink.. Then I was going to frost it all in buttercream icing dyed pink and use box fondant (now that we can get it already colored brown) decorations.. Now that I have to use chocolate icing I have to change my plans just a bit.. Thanks!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 17

I don't care for chocolate icing, so when I make black, I start by coloring my white icing as dark brown as I can get it. Then I start adding black coloring.

Hope this helps.

Leily

piklpop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piklpop2 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 17

I did a bowling ball cake and airbrushed the ball and gutters black. It was no problem to cover at all. I would think the Wilton spray would be just as effective. You can see the finished product in my photos.

jekizer Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 17

I went to a restaurant supply wholesale store last night and found some coloring by ATECO. They are called spectrum colors. When I tried to make black icing for the mouth of a bear, it turned out wonderfully. Also, no bitter taste. If you can find them, they are wonderful colors to use.

Kos Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 17

jekizer - Did you start with white frosting when you made "black" with the ATECO? I'm on their website now. Thanks!

Joan

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

Great question. thumbs_up.gif
I started with the chocolate frosting for black and it does come out perfect, but what if you don't want the chocolate taste? I have americolor colors and the black gets bitter tasting to me. I have seen other posters suggest just buying the Wilton's black frosting. I will probably do that for now on but it makes you wonder how they get such good-tasting black frosting. icon_confused.gif

I would say airbrushing would be the only way...Black icing is very messy too. The Wilton spray colors would be the way to go if you can't use chocolate to start!!

If you do end up airbrushing the cake...It has to be done in layers. If you try to put all the color on at one time, your cake will look wet. I had to do a cake with really bold airbrush colors and I can't even remember how many times I sprayed that darn cake... It's worth taking the extra time to let each layer of color dry before putting on the next.

Good luck!!

Simplydelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simplydelicious Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 17

I use Dawn's buttercream icings. They are premixed and I really like the red and black. They don't have a bitter taste and I use them mixed with white to lighten the color for pinks and grays. I currently buy dawns at my local cake supply store.

jekizer Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 17

I started with the white frosting. These colors worked wonderfully. I hope they work for you as well. Good Luck. Let me know how it goes!!!

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

Does anyone have a good chocolate buttercream frosting recipe? I've made some buttercream and added cocoa powder with no specific amounts and it tasted horrible.. It even came out sort of crusty..

I've gotten good results just mixing buttercream with melted chocolate.

Really funny to be posting in this thread. I went searching yesterday for how to make black icing and that's how I discovered this site !!!

jekizer Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 17

Welcome VickiG! Glad to have you!

Kos Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 17

Hello VickiG. This is a terrific site with lots of great advice, tips, and help. I am pretty new to it but am addicted.

Joan

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:27pm
post #16 of 17

Is the ATECO coloring paste or liquid?

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks !

This is a wonderful site... the photos, the articles, and all the help ! amazing really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%