Name Of A Product Help?

Decorating By sweetsbysherri Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm by Teekakes

sweetsbysherri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbysherri Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 4

Ok this is not going to be spelled right, but I am looking for postiauge, I have seen it used on alot of cakes shows on TV, but can't find what it is, can anyone help?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 4


similar to gumpaste

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

I *think* you might mean pastillage ?

I make mine with 300g firm royal icing + 2 teaspoons of CMC (tylo powder / tylose)

Mix together, cover bowl with cling film (Saran wrap), leave for 10 minutes, then knead with a smear of white veg fat (Crisco) on your hands.

Then, it's ready to use.

Hope this helps

Suzanne x

edited to say that once it dries, this dries rock solid. I make the towers on my castle cakes with this. Also use it for handbag handles that I want to stand upright.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 4

Hi Sherrie..........I think you are saying "Pastillage", which is used for creating figures, flowers and all kinds of cut-outs you may see on a cake, cupcake or cookie.
It is basically the same thing as gumpaste which can be purchased pre-made ready to use by Wilton at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn's, Walmart, and about any other place that carries Wilton decorating supplies.
However, it is very easy to make yourself and it keeps in the fridge for a very long time. My personal favorite is Nicholas Lodge's recipe which can be found here;

Sometimes people like to use fondant or a 50/50 mix of fondant to gumpaste, depending on what is to be crafted. Homemade fondant tastes wonderful but does not dry nearly as hard as gumpaste does. Both mediums are edible.

Hope this helps a bit. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%