Help Please! My 50/50 Gumpaste/fondant Is Too Soft!

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 1:48am by Win

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 8

Last night I made a batch of MMF. I took some of the MMF and mixed it with Bakels gumpaste (I know it's not the greatest product, I found that out after buying it.)

Today, my MMF has a stiffer feeling to it which is expected, however my 50/50 is much softer. I used the brown gel coloring to color it brown.

Is this the right texture? Do I need to knead in some PS? I want to make my teddy bear topper tonight so that it dries in time for Saturday.

Please help!

TIA!

7 replies
SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 8

ooh, that bakels is super soft. i have a friend who bought it due to satin ice being out of stock and she couldn't get it to do a darn thing. it just sort of melted and wouldn't form. i bet that's the problem. can you split the 50/50 ball in half and add more fondant?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 8

But will my figure dry hard enough if I add more fondant?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 8

But will my figure dry hard enough if I add more fondant?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #5 of 8

Brown gel coloring will change the consistency. Try adding tylose powder.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 8

i would take the 50/50 batch. and add some tylose to it and knead really good. that should help the problem..

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 8

I agree. I never use gumpaste. I add a little Tylose powder to my fondant. It should be fine for you to make it now.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #8 of 8

A couple of things...

I always go a little more than 50/50 --about 60/40 gumpaste to fondant. I've never used Bakels, but I do use Wilton which can be gooey at times as well. I find the 60/40 dries better, sooner, but still is easy to work with while you need to.

Second, gel colors will think out the consistency of the mixture. If you don't have Tylose you can knead in some corn starch and that will help dry your mixture out. If you happen to have Wilton's Gum Tex that will work as well.

If your figure is fairly thin, you will not have big issues with dry time; however, if you have a fairly fat figure, take the measures to dry out your mixture a bit. Use good support inside the figure... spaghetti, cocktail stick, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%