Need Desperate Help!!! I Have To Do 75 Mini Cakes

Decorating By vnm42101 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm by vnm42101

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone...

First of all sorry this is going to be so long. I need some help. I offered to do my cousins wedding favors about a year ago. At the moment it sounded like so much fun but now it is not any more. They are going to be 3 inch rounds.

Attached is a picture of a trial run I did that my cousin loved but here are all my questions.

1) I am doing doctored cake mixes and plan on freezing them. Don't know any other way of managing the quantity. How long in advance can I bake them? Can I start now?

2) I was planning on doing 10 or 12 inch square cakes and with circle cutter, cutting the cakes I need. Should I cut the cakes first and then freeze or the other way around?

3) The cakes are going to be placed in clear food safe plastic boxes. They will be refrigerated until we leave for the reception (hopefully they will fit in the fridge) and then refrigerated at the reception until the bride gives them away. the cakes have gumpaste flowers that have taken me about 2 months to make. Will the flowers be ok with being in the fridge and taken out? I am using IMBC filling and fondant covering, that is why I asked the reception place to keep it refrigerated.

OMG...if you are still reading...thank you, thank you, thank you..

4) The trial I made I used rolled fondant, but with the quantity and the all of a sudden panic on my part of realizing that I can't do this, I am looking for an easier way of doing this. Has any one used poured fondant. I tried searching here but for some reason I have been having problems with my searches. Do I just microwave regular fondant (I am using Satin Ice)?

Again thank you if you made it to the end of this message.

Vivian
LL

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 3

LOL...it wasn't too, too long icon_biggrin.gif

I've made mini cakes before but never in the quantity that you're planning to make. When I made mine, I baked sheet cakes, leveled, split and filled them, then put a layer of buttercream on the top, put waxed paper over it and froze it solid before cutting it with deep cookie cutters. (The scraps left over from doing that are some of the yummiest little pieces of cake you'll ever encounter). Then I took a few from the freezer at a time and covered them with rolled fondant. I think poured fondant will need to be a different recipe, not just melted rolled fondant.

As long as they're wrapped well, cakes will keep a long time in the freezer.

I have some gumpaste roses left over from the cake I just made. It's a little humid and not ice cold in my house. I'll put one of my roses in the fridge and take it out a few hours from now, and I'll let you know how it holds up. That way you don't have to test it with one of your roses.

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for your reply, Texas_Rose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%