Mmf And Kitchenaid

Decorating By lilboo529 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 4:30am by dandelion56602

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 23

I AM EXCITED I JUST GOT MY KITCHENAID ON SATURDAY AND MY MOTHER IN LAW SAID YOU SHE HAS USED HER DOUGH HOOK TO MAKE MMF HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE THIS? IF SO HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT DOING IT?

22 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 23

I've used my KA to make it many times but I've recently been doing it manually. It can be really tough on the motor of your mixer, and I don't want to blow mine up! It only takes a few minutes to knead it smooth, and I bake a lot of bread, so I don't mind. But, yes, you can absolutely make MMF with your KA. I started out using the paddle to mix my melted MM's and PS, then switched to the dough hook when it got thick.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 23

I've used my KA to make it many times but I've recently been doing it manually. It can be really tough on the motor of your mixer, and I don't want to blow mine up! It only takes a few minutes to knead it smooth, and I bake a lot of bread, so I don't mind. But, yes, you can absolutely make MMF with your KA. I started out using the paddle to mix my melted MM's and PS, then switched to the dough hook when it got thick.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 23

I prefer to mix mine by hand too - I love my KA - but I just don't like hearing that motor strain. I may try it in my Hobart one of these days, but for now, I don't mind kneading it by hand!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 23

I never understood why ppl want to do mmf in the mixer? icon_confused.gif
Save your mixer and knead it by hand... it only takes a few short min's to get it smooth thumbs_up.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 23

Save your mixer and knead it by hand... it only takes a few short min's to get it smooth thumbs_up.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 23

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 23

I always use the mixer to make MMF. It doesn't sound like it's struggling in any way. The motor actually sounds the same when I use it to make bread dough. I use a lot of crisco and I use the dough hook for the whole thing. I start out on the lowest speed and then move it up one notch once the powdered sugar has been mixed in.

lilboo529 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 23

i had no problem doing it by hand before but i have a little bit of carpal tunnel which makes it hard sometimes...thanks for all your replies

-AndSheBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-AndSheBakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 23

Can anyone else comment on the motor issue. I love my kitchen aid and would not want to damage it, but on the other hand I would appreciate being able to use my mixer to make MMF. Are there some recipes that are just not mixer friendly?

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiezNCupcakez

I agree. I tried it once and it sounded like the motor was straining. I've been doing it by hand since. I don't want to risk damaging my baby....its worth its weight in gold icon_wink.gif

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 23

Huh. Never even thought of trying the MMF in the KA. Mostly because I'm a hostile woman and I take out my aggression by mixing by hand! (Actually, was being lazy and didn't want to dirty another bowl. Would rather knead than wash.)

However, DID just whip up MFF for the first time this weekend and used the KA. Boy...I chickened out about 3/4 of the way through and did the rest by hand. Turned out just fine and I really am less grumpy if I can beat up sugar dough!

Sumkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumkat Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 23

When I first started making MMF about 3 or 4 years ago I read a post on here about someone breaking their KA mixer while making MMF and have always done it by hand because of that. Just the thought of the possibility is too scary to risk icon_smile.gif

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #14 of 23

I use my KA for MMF too. Your KA has a life time waranty and you paid good money for a good mixer, use it!!! (and enjoy it to its fullest) thumbs_up.gif

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:17am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsadiecakes

I use my KA for MMF too. Your KA has a life time waranty and you paid good money for a good mixer, use it!!! (and enjoy it to its fullest) thumbs_up.gif

That's my philosophy too. I've used my KA mixer every time for MMF and never heard any motor problems or strange sounds. I'm not sure if matters on the size of your mixer or not, but I have Prof. series 6 quart mixer if that makes a difference.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsadiecakes

That's my philosophy too. I've used my KA mixer every time for MMF and never heard any motor problems or strange sounds. I'm not sure if matters on the size of your mixer or not, but I have Prof. series 6 quart mixer if that makes a difference.

I also have the Pro 6Qt and I used the dough hook. I guess I'm just chicken. It scared the skin off of me when I heard the motor straining. I've been too scared to try again. Oh.....it was my first time making MMF and I put the whole 2LB bag (8 cups) of 10Xin all at once icon_redface.gif . I now only use 6-7 C of 10X sugar. Maybe that is why the motor was straining.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #17 of 23

I too use my KA Artisan to make MMF. I grease the bowl and bread hook well with shortening before adding the ingredients.

I don't hear engine strain on mine at all.

BTW..........does KA offer a "lifetime" warranty? I thought it was just a 1 yr warranty. I'll be psyched if it's lifetime.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #18 of 23

dkelly - you are right, it is one year. I prefer not to use mine - it has never strained, I just don't like the idea of working it that hard needlessly. (I make bread all the time and I knead it my hand also) I just work out my frustrations making it! icon_biggrin.gif

I know dang good and well this 20 qt. hobart won't strain to make it. icon_wink.gif

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 23

Yes you are right, I was mistaken.Sorry. I got my book out and it is a ONE YEAR warranty. Still don't see any reason why not to use it for MMF if it's only one batch at time. They are amazing machines!!!

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #20 of 23

I love my KA mixer and I have the heavy duty professional one, so I don't think twice about putting MMF in and letting that lovely machine do its best! It's also quite handy for mixing colors into already made fondant! I recently discovered this and will never mix it by hand again! Just use the dough hook, sit back, and let your KA do what you bought it for!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #21 of 23

Well, when MMF KILLED my hands, giving my carpal tunnel extreme grief I had to use my 6 qt KA. Even stirring the marshmallows until they melt will sometimes irritate. So, when your hands go numb there is no kneading all that sugar in by hand. It's not actually the kneading but stirring until you can knead that gets me.

I will give you guys some tips. After people were saying their KA's were dying b/c of rolled buttercream (which I use for cookies & made all the time in my KA) I got out my trusty manual. DO NOT turn it up & only use the paddle hook. It's that simple. I keep mine on stir w/ the dough hook. I might put it on 2 until most of the ps is incorporated & it actually starts kneading. I thought, this stuff isn't any thicker than some of the doughs I've made & if it's suppose to knead dough I'll just see what the manual says. It says keep it on the lowest setting & use the dough hook. Voila! That's what I do & Never have a problem w/ it straining. Mine actually sounds like it has a harder time when it's making buttercream than fondant.

So, give it a try ladies! Oh, & I melt mine in the KA bowl using it like a double boiler & only 1 bowl to clean & for some reason it turns out better. I use to get clumps in it when I melted it in the microwave. Quicker in the mw I know, but not worth it to me.

lilboo529 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Well, when MMF KILLED my hands, giving my carpal tunnel extreme grief I had to use my 6 qt KA. Even stirring the marshmallows until they melt will sometimes irritate. So, when your hands go numb there is no kneading all that sugar in by hand. It's not actually the kneading but stirring until you can knead that gets me.

I will give you guys some tips. After people were saying their KA's were dying b/c of rolled buttercream (which I use for cookies & made all the time in my KA) I got out my trusty manual. DO NOT turn it up & only use the paddle hook. It's that simple. I keep mine on stir w/ the dough hook. I might put it on 2 until most of the ps is incorporated & it actually starts kneading. I thought, this stuff isn't any thicker than some of the doughs I've made & if it's suppose to knead dough I'll just see what the manual says. It says keep it on the lowest setting & use the dough hook. Voila! That's what I do & Never have a problem w/ it straining. Mine actually sounds like it has a harder time when it's making buttercream than fondant.

So, give it a try ladies! Oh, & I melt mine in the KA bowl using it like a double boiler & only 1 bowl to clean & for some reason it turns out better. I use to get clumps in it when I melted it in the microwave. Quicker in the mw I know, but not worth it to me.

thanks for the advice i to have carpal tunnel had ever since i was preganant thought it would go away after but if still gets bad on some days

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboo529

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

thanks for the advice i to have carpal tunnel had ever since i was preganant thought it would go away after but if still gets bad on some days

That's exactly what happened to me about 7 1/2 yrs ago. If I use my hands too much in the kitchen, yard, around the house etc they give me grief for about 1 week. i feel your pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%