Cake Boss/amazing Wedding Cake - Fonant In The Refrigerator

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm by peg818

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I know the rule is generally not to put a fondant in the refrigerator, however when watching these shows lately I'm seeing them put a cake that is finished and covered in fondant in the refrigerator!!!

Does anyone know how this is done? In general I have not had good experiences with cakes the refrigerator. Especially in the summer, when I put a cake in the refrigerator, then take it out, it sweats!! Sometimes even ruins the decorations.

Can anyone school me on refrigerator use and cakes??

Thanks!!

9 replies
chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 10

I know Buddy V. uses Satin Ice which CAN be refrigerated. I dont know about Amazing Wedding Cakes. I refrigerate my SI cakes all the time, I just let them dry out FULLY before touching them at all when I do refrigerate.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

I remember leah saying that they sometimes use "coolers" not fridges on these shows.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 10

i sit in geraldine randlesomes's demos at ices conventions.. she refrigerates all of her fondant covered cakes. with her business , she has to.. creativecutters.com... hth

jessieb578 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 10

Really? I use SI too, I did not know that they can be refrigerated! What about roses or decorations made with fondant?? Can they be refrigerated as well?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:30am
post #6 of 10

I use Satin Ice and refrigerate all my cakes without having any problems. Yesterday, I used ganache under fondant, refrigerated it and also had no problems.

jessieb578 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 10

RyalnTy, do you refrigerate after being fully decorated with bows and such??

jessieb578 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 10

RyalnTy, do you refrigerate after being fully decorated with bows and such??

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 10

I use Satin ice and I refrigerate all of my cakes, FULLY DECORATED. The fillings I use require that they be refrigerated, so every single cake I make gets put in the 'ol icebox, and I've never had a problem from it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 10

I refrigerate all my cakes. Never had a problem even fully decorated. I prefer to use choco-pan.

The only problem i have had is extended time in a commercial walk in cooler. It seems the walk in cooler where i work is much more humid then my home refrigerator. I also, have central air that pulls the moisture out of the air which helps. If you are working with little or no ac and the humidity is what it has been lately around here. You will have problems. BTW Jessie, i'm just across the river in Hudson.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%