Anyone With Fibromyalgia Or Chronic Fatigue?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm by Luvsthedogs

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 20

If so, how do you organize baking to maximize your energy? I know that I obviously won't ever be able to have a full-time bakery, but for the cakes I do have, I'm having to do things just a little at a time. Today I worked on fondant flowers and got the dry ingredients together for a cake. Tomorrow, I'll get the wet ingredients together. I don't know if I'll be able to bake tomorrow, though.

How do you manage caking with fibro or CFS?

19 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 20

i personally dont suffer from either of these conditions, but one of my good friends does, and shes a baker. Shes often in a wheelchair from the fibro, but has good days when she can walk about a bit more. She does it like you, she does it piece by piece, a bit at a time, and shes learnt now, how not to over do herself, if she does, she knows she will have a worse day tomorrow than nessicary. i suggest you do what your comfortable with, and dont push yourself, my friend doesnt take orders, She used to, but not any more, now she does it purely for family and v.close friends. Also, dont be shy, if you need a hand with something, just ask some one you trust, i often help my friend roll out her fondant for covering cakes when shes need it icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 20

I do suffer from fibromyalgia and I've learned the hard way not to overdo it. However, there are times when unfortunately I've had all-nighters working on a cake and I've paid for it in pain and sheer exhaustion, maybe not that day but certainly the next! I've also needed breaks to rest my wrists. I think you're smart breaking it up in smaller tasks. I'm trying to learn to pace myself better. For instance, you can make frosting and fondant earlier in the week so that's all set. I like your idea about getting ingredients together separately also.

Keep me posted; I'm always happy to exchange helpful hints! icon_wink.gif

Have a good day, fruitsnack!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 20

I was diagnosed with CFS several years ago. Have had a number of rounds with it where I am almost bed ridden. However, since I retired, I find I can pace myself better. I too just do parts and pieces at a time. Make fondant one day, bake another, decorate cookies over a two or three day period of time. if I have a lot of cupcakes to do, I bake then freeze. Make icing another day, and so on. I also find it helps me a lot, if I make a plan to do all of these things, even scheduling them out to the day. That way you know what you have to do each day, if you get a little done for tomorrow thats great!! It gives you a little peace of mind to know you are on schedule or if you need to ask for a little help.

I am grateful that I do not suffer from the really nasty first cousin, fibromyalgia, and my heartfelt good wishes to those that do.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 20

I have fibro AND rheumatoid arthritis. I make all my frostings for the week on one day. Then I bake and fill all my cakes for the week the next day and freeze what needs to be carved, or doesn't need to be ready until the end of the week. Then frost and decorate what needs to be done immediately the following day. Then I frost and decorate as needed throughout the rest of the week. This usually works out great for me. But I refuse to do more than three cakes a weekso that I can keep this schedule...unless I can enlist my mother to help me. Then I might do up to 5 cakes a week.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 20

I have fibromyalgia. I also give myself tons of time. But I am a pro cake decorator so I have some good speed anyway. I would never ever go without sleep for a cake--I couldn't function if I did.

I lost 50 pounds a few years ago and that was a wonderfullly helpful healing-ish healthy type thing to do. I have since of course gained back a few here & there.

My pain level has been killing me lately. Absofreakinglutely killing me.

But I am incredibly blessed too. I rode my bike 6 miles this morning.

Ignoring pain is my modus operandi. When I can't ignore it, I take meds. I rest a lot and make no apologies. I walk with a cane.

I just do a few cakes a year...

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 20

Also, I got laid off 6 or 7 years ago and at that point I started concentrating on K8t.

I got the Zumba latin dance aerobic tapes--put some powder on the floor so my feet didn't stick and cause me a muscle spasm--started exercising next to the bed so if i slipped on the powder...so as awful as movement is for fibro-ites, I learned how beneficial it is for me.

So that's my story.

Hope you do well.

You gotta learn when to push against and when to relax into the pain.

Take Care.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 20

I have Fibro and Lupus. K8 is correct!! Exercise is a key in managing the fibro. When I need to, I nap and never feel guilty for it!

Pace yourself and accept the limitations that go along with the disability. There's nothing like taking on too much to make you really ill, so don't. I am guilty of that in the past until my BF stepped in and put a stop to it. No more!

You can go into remission. It takes a regimented routine and plenty of rest to achieve it, but it can be done. Reducing stress is key also, I know that may be difficult but it's not impossible. People have stress they're not even aware of until they get rid of it.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to. icon_smile.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #9 of 20

Me... I work a FT job and do these things for fun. At times it sounds like fun but it kills me... especially if they want them during the work week.

It is really really tough. I need to do as K8T said and exercise more because the only thing that takes the pain away is Lortab and I can't work with it. Frustrating!!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:42am
post #10 of 20

I have fibro, and I work full time in a bakery. I do baking 1-2 days (well nights actually), and wedding cakes 2-3 days. The night shifts are easy because they are usually only 6 hours and I'm a night owl, so it works better for my sleep schedule.

But for wedding cakes, I usually end up working at least 10 hours... sometimes as much as 14 (and that one crazy all-nighter, 18+ hour day icon_eek.gif ). Usually I don't sleep more than a few hours those nights too. It's pretty much a total mess where I just power through, ignoring pain and everything else, and then I totally crash on my days off. Definitely not good for my health, but it's the only way I can do the work I love where I'm living right now. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've gotten really good at ignoring my pain, and working though total exaustion. I do know my breaking points though, and I pay attention to those.

My plan is to start looking for a bakery (in some other location) where they would be willing to accomidate my illness (I get no accomidations now) in exchange for my experience and drive. I'm sure if I look long enough someone will want me!

Eventually though, I really want to have my own cake business/bakery. I'll need a business parnter for sure though. I know I couldn't do it all on my own. So that's on my 10 year plan.

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:08am
post #11 of 20

I also have fybromyalgia..i have a full time job..and have decided to do my cake related activitys on the side...( i teach and make cakes for friends and family..and just find that i have to pace myself.....
it is good to know that there are others here that can understand and relateicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

padawn71 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:11am
post #12 of 20

I also have fybromyalgia..i have a full time job..and have decided to do my cake related activitys on the side...( i teach and make cakes for friends and family..and just find that i have to pace myself.....
it is good to know that there are others here that can understand and relateicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

padawn71 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:35am
post #13 of 20

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 20

Dear Aching Cake Buddies,

In order to try & feel good & get better you have to:
1) rest properly
2) drink water
3) exercise
4) eat properly

That's really all there is to living with/beating this thing/attempting to keep it at bay at least.

Cheating your sleep makes you worse over the long haul. Sleeping 16 hours a day and not getting into the right sleep (the deep rem stuff) degrades your condition too.

Sleep is passive aggressive and does not forgive--it will slowly demand payment one way or another.

Just some thoughts for you.

I mean the first thing I wanna do when I feel 'over the line' is eat junk food & comfort myself. I wanna watch tv and not move. So I mean I sure ain't preaching I'm just sharing--watch your sleep--cavalierly saying oh yeah '18 hours', 'overnighter'--you're gonna pay royal for that. ouch

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Dear Aching Cake Buddies,

In order to try & feel good & get better you have to:
1) rest properly
2) drink water
3) exercise
4) eat properly

That's really all there is to living with/beating this thing/attempting to keep it at bay at least.

Cheating your sleep makes you worse over the long haul. Sleeping 16 hours a day and not getting into the right sleep (the deep rem stuff) degrades your condition too.

Sleep is passive aggressive and does not forgive--it will slowly demand payment one way or another.

Just some thoughts for you.

I mean the first thing I wanna do when I feel 'over the line' is eat junk food & comfort myself. I wanna watch tv and not move. So I mean I sure ain't preaching I'm just sharing--watch your sleep--cavalierly saying oh yeah '18 hours', 'overnighter'--you're gonna pay royal for that. ouch

You're totally right. I'm well aware of the huge price I pay for my work sometimes... But it's a lot easier to talk about getting enough sleep and not working too hard when you aren't in the thick of things... stuck in a place where you know that you * you* don't keep working, busting @$$ until the job is done, there's nobody else who can do it, and if I give up and say "my health is more important" (which it should be), then there will be customers with no wedding cake on their wedding day. And not only would that make ME feel like poo, but it would also very negatively affect my job.
Then again, another issue I struggle with (and am trying to work on), is my own "never give up," "never give in," "keep working till the job is done" attitude. I don't like feeling weak, or "less-than" because of the fibro. I'm one of those crazy perfectionist, overachivers and I'm always trying to prove to myslef and others that I'm tough and can do anything anyone else can. Yes, I have issues. icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif
Someday, I'll get to a place where my health is my TOP priortity... but that day has not arrived. So I keep plugging on... toughing it out... makin' cake. icon_cool.gif

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:51am
post #16 of 20

Hi,

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and later with a magnesium deficiency. I couldn't believe the difference that the magnesium supplements made in my life, I started to feel the difference in about a months time and today I hardly have any symptoms.

Take a look at these:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/85339/the_connection_between_magnesium_and.html

http://web.mit.edu/london/www/magnesium.html

http://www.ctds.info/fibromyalgia-diet.html

http://www.ctds.info/fibromyalgia-diet.html

I hope these information will help someone.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 20

I agree--I take a supplement with magnesium (coral calcium) and it does really make a significant difference for me. Great point, Eliza.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 20

Hi! I am newly diagnosed with fibro after a 5 year quest. I have struggled mightily with the pain meds, nausea to the extreme, and terrible stomach pain. I was just going to tough it out, but after telling myself that I just could not live this way for 40 more years, I took the leap and tried acupuncture. I researched and found a clinic where there are 6 acupunturists that are all nationally and state certified, and went for a visit. Wow. I have had 3 treatments so far, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. My pain levels are down, I am sleeping better, and DH says I am a more pleasant person. NOT THAT I WASN'T TO START WITH!!! icon_wink.gif Just wanted to let you know that this may be an option if you struggle with the pain meds as I do. I hope you all have some healing and peace in your lives.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 20

Hi! I am newly diagnosed with fibro after a 5 year quest. I have struggled mightily with the pain meds, nausea to the extreme, and terrible stomach pain. I was just going to tough it out, but after telling myself that I just could not live this way for 40 more years, I took the leap and tried acupuncture. I researched and found a clinic where there are 6 acupunturists that are all nationally and state certified, and went for a visit. Wow. I have had 3 treatments so far, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. My pain levels are down, I am sleeping better, and DH says I am a more pleasant person. NOT THAT I WASN'T TO START WITH!!! icon_wink.gif Just wanted to let you know that this may be an option if you struggle with the pain meds as I do. I hope you all have some healing and peace in your lives.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 20

I've not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but do have weird pain and tiredness that comes and goes. One of the things that I've discovered is that Aspartame brings this on for me. I have nearly quit drinking diet sodas and I can't tell you how much better I feel! I didn't drink that many to start out with, but if I have any diet drinks with Nutrasweet I can immediately tell the difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%