Another Depressing, Frustrating And Unsatisfying Cake

Decorating By Rylan Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 2:09am by JanH

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #31 of 56

It is a beautiful cake and a great design. Please stop being so hard on yourself. It's really refreshing to see a new design and not one that been done over and over. Kudos to you!

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #32 of 56

I love purple and so does my niece who is turning 12 in a couple of weeks and whom I am making a purple cake for! I think your cake is beautiful. I love the way the fondant mimics the platter it's sitting on. I WILL NOT show this to my niece because I don't want her to think she will be getting something this gorgeous!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #33 of 56

You really are too hard on yourself, i mean it, the black and white cake you did was fab, i just love it and have looked at it in my favs again and again. this cake is gorgeous - im dying to try brush embroidery and you are a master at it. the bow is well made, the borders are lovely, will definitly be trying that technique and overall the effect is fab.

sometimes i have to stop myself from comparing my cakes to other peoples like Jennifer Dontz, Peggy Porschen, Kate Sullivan, Pinkcake box and Summernoelle, etc - ok so those people can acheive absolute perfection but eventually with practice i will improve but in the meantime i should be grateful that my cakes sell well, i havent had a complaint and every one of my customers has been a repeat customer and has given me word of mouth custom so obviously im not bad at this even though im usually disappointed.

Just troll through the galleries - you will see cakers that are better and worse than you and it always reassures me to see that im somewhere in the middle icon_smile.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #34 of 56

You really are too hard on yourself, i mean it, the black and white cake you did was fab, i just love it and have looked at it in my favs again and again. this cake is gorgeous - im dying to try brush embroidery and you are a master at it. the bow is well made, the borders are lovely, will definitly be trying that technique and overall the effect is fab.

sometimes i have to stop myself from comparing my cakes to other peoples like Jennifer Dontz, Peggy Porschen, Kate Sullivan, Pinkcake box and Summernoelle, etc - ok so those people can acheive absolute perfection but eventually with practice i will improve but in the meantime i should be grateful that my cakes sell well, i havent had a complaint and every one of my customers has been a repeat customer and has given me word of mouth custom so obviously im not bad at this even though im usually disappointed.

Just troll through the galleries - you will see cakers that are better and worse than you and it always reassures me to see that im somewhere in the middle icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #35 of 56

Thank you so much for all the input everyone. I feel a lot better--although I still feel that "ughness". Kakeladi, you got it right. It's because I was forced to use purple. Now I will never ever like the cake.

As for the brush embroidery. I used Serious Cakes' tutorail. Here it is:

I used royal icing instead.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #36 of 56

reminding Rylan of the story of the little boy who cried "Wolf" (or in your case "this cake *#$@*^s!") one time too many.

am now going to always stick my fingers in my ears, sing at the top of my voice "LALALALALALALALALALLA" and just plain IGNORE any bad comments Rylan makes about his own cakes as:

1) he seriously needs his eyes examined! me thinks he's blind to the beauty of his work!

2) he seriously needs to just "get on with" and continue to make truly gorgeous like he as so far.

3) he has finally given me almost enough reason to finally visit Las Vegas -- just so I can knock some sense into him.

-----

as they say around these parts:

"Child - HUSH your mouth!"

you've got nothing to complain about except not getting recognized as a master decorator and being on a Food Network Challenge

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #37 of 56

Rylan,
Your cake is gorgeous. I love the wavy ribbon. It added a soft and fun element to a beautiful design.
Your brush embroidery work really turned out lovely.

-Debbie B.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

reminding Rylan of the story of the little boy who cried "Wolf" (or in your case "this cake *#$@*^s!") one time too many.

am now going to always stick my fingers in my ears, sing at the top of my voice "LALALALALALALALALALLA" and just plain IGNORE any bad comments Rylan makes about his own cakes as:

1) he seriously needs his eyes examined! me thinks he's blind to the beauty of his work!

2) he seriously needs to just "get on with" and continue to make truly gorgeous like he as so far.

3) he has finally given me almost enough reason to finally visit Las Vegas -- just so I can knock some sense into him.

-----

you've got nothing to complain about except not getting recognized as a master decorator and being on a Food Network Challenge

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm
post #39 of 56
Quote:

-----

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #40 of 56
Quote:

-----

You are hilarious Doug. You did put a huge smile on my face. Seriously though, now I know why I hate this cake. It's because of the colors. I'm just not a fan of it. Honestly, if the ribbons were black I would like it OR if I can do seamless gaps, I may like it because I wouldn't have to use those hideous wavy borders.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #41 of 56
Quote:

-----

Absolutely. I am sorry, but you are constantly complaining about perfectly beautiful cakes! I am all for constructive criticism, as in "What can I do about this color" etc. But to complain every time you make a pretty cake and rip it apart and talk about how your cakes are the worst ever is a little exhausting. Your work is great.

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #42 of 56

i think its beautiful! The brush embroidery is great!

scociny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scociny Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #43 of 56

I think your cake is gorgeous and would love to have a cake like that for my birthday! Seriously, my mouth dropped when I saw it because it is so beautiful. Good job!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #44 of 56

If you think your cakes are ugly, don't look at my photo gallery!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #45 of 56

Geez..........I'm sitting here WISHING I could do a
cake this nice!!!!! icon_surprised.gif
You should be very proud of that cake!!!
Please don't be so hard on yourself, it's really a beautiful cake!!!!!!!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #46 of 56

I'm with Doug... shut your pie hole and stop cutting yourself down. I mean really... you are just fishing for compliments I swear!

(all said with a smile) icon_wink.gif just joshing wth you honest... icon_lol.gif

I do understand the feeling. All I ever see is the negative with my cakes too. Your cake is beautiful... is the shade of purple in your picture the actual color or is it closer to the editted picture? The picture you posted looks like a violet... it's a hard shade of purple to love. BUT... your cake is lovely so quit-yer-bitchin'!! icon_wink.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #47 of 56

Exactly - I agree with summernoelle - you are constanly complaining about cakes that do not need to be complained about. Enough already! I love purple and the cake is beautiful!!

For heavens sake most of us here on CC wish in our dreams that we could do cakes like you do. I want to do that round ball at the top - tell us how you did that - WOW! So I think you need to stop with the drama.

FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #48 of 56

Something to consider... you said you hated the luster dust looking as it did. Invest in an airbrush and the puster dust will go on MUCH less heavy and patchy and you will like the look MUCH more. I love my air brush and couldn't live without it for this alone. icon_smile.gif

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #49 of 56

O.k. Rylan - the first time I saw your post about a crappy cake, I expected to see a crappy cake. It was a beautiful cake....and honestly I think you already know that. Now you post again about another one of your crap cakes and basically I knew I could expect to see a gorgeous cake (it was). You either love fishing for compliments by falsely putting yourself down or you really do have a confidence issue - everyone has confidence issues but this is a little extreme! Do you know that when you talk so badly about your pretty cakes you make other cc'ers feel badly about their mediocre cakes?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeastconfection

O.k. Rylan - the first time I saw your post about a crappy cake, I expected to see a crappy cake. It was a beautiful cake....and honestly I think you already know that. Now you post again about another one of your crap cakes and basically I knew I could expect to see a gorgeous cake (it was). You either love fishing for compliments by falsely putting yourself down or you really do have a confidence issue - everyone has confidence issues but this is a little extreme! Do you know that when you talk so badly about your pretty cakes you make other cc'ers feel badly about their mediocre cakes?

Very true....or even feel badly about their really good cakes, actually!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #51 of 56
Quote:

-----

I'll go with you Doug...I'll hold him and you can SMACK him!! icon_wink.gif

That is one BEATIFUL cake!! I love it!!

Gail

Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:55pm
post #52 of 56

I AM NOT TRYING TO FISH FOR COMPLIMENTS. The cake decorating community on Youtube know me from being so unhappy with my cakes. Honestly, you all don't know how I feel about the cake. I really didn't like the outcome because I had a different plan and I believe that the original plan is so much better. I also hated the cake because I can never get over the purple I used (when you see it in person).... It's like wearing a shirt that you don't like.

Anyway, Thanks for the kind words even if I wasn't asking for it.

In case you are wondering why I used the cake as an avatar, it's because I think it looks better in a smaller scale.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #53 of 56

I am thinking Rylan should have this post locked as well thumbs_up.gif (just to avoid it getting ugly... you know how that can be)

Get over it already.. The cake is beautiful.. STOP BEING A DIVA. Just because you didn't like the color doesn't mean the cake is a disaster already! SHEESH!

Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:14pm
post #54 of 56

Yes Ginggoodies, I asked Jan to have this locked. Pelase don't post anymore nice replies only negative ones because I don't want to be judged as a "fisher".

FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #55 of 56

lol... I was just kidding about the fishing for compliments. I totally understand the "ugh" factor... especially when you don't love a design. It's hard to not see what you deem as an eye sore... even if it just a pretty purple ribbon and bow. jjljj (that's my niece saying "nice cake") icon_wink.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #56 of 56

Thread locked per OP's request.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%