Ganache Vs. Bc Under Fondant

Decorating By gatorcakes Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 7:14am by Evoir

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 23

Which is better/easier? I have tried buttercream and it squished out the bottom of my cake, so I'm tempted to try ganache. Which do you all prefer?

22 replies
Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 23

I've only used BC so can't comment on whether it's better than ganache, but if your BC squished out the bottom, I think there might have been too much BC on your cake. I attended a demo by Nicholas Lodge this past week and he specifically said that the tendency is to have too much BC underneath fondant. HTH

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 23

I've only used BC so can't comment on whether it's better than ganache, but if your BC squished out the bottom, I think there might have been too much BC on your cake. I attended a demo by Nicholas Lodge this past week and he specifically said that the tendency is to have too much BC underneath fondant. HTH

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcakes

Which is better/easier? I have tried buttercream and it squished out the bottom of my cake, so I'm tempted to try ganache. Which do you all prefer?

I've never tried ganache under fondant, but it sounds to me like you had too much buttercream on the cake before you put the fondant on.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:52am
post #5 of 23

depends i guess, there are alot of people who think ganache works fantastic to give you nice crisper edges on the cake but i find ganache a bit too rich for me so i still prefer to use buttercream.

My last cake i just did i used buttercream underneath the fondant but only did like a thin crum coat layer and got nice edges on the cake and it didn't ooze out the bottom at all so like previously said you may have used too much buttercream and also if it is a crusting recipe let it crust a little then spritz with a little water then put the fondant on.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:21am
post #6 of 23

I would never use anything but ganache now. You can put it on as thick or thin as you want and it gives you a lot better finish and never squishes out the bottom. Ganache all the way!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:25am
post #7 of 23

I recently tried ganache under fondant and it's definitely the way to go. I put a fairly thick layer on, smoothed it, and put a very thin layer of fondant over it. No sagging corners, no air bubbles, and no squishes at the bottom.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 23

The ganache is much easier for me, but it is rich and I don't have a local source for white chocolate, so it is also a lot more expensive than buttercream.

I have found that lots of people still want buttercream on their cakes. Using a thinner layer works better, but ... lots of people still want buttercream on their cakes! icon_biggrin.gif Sharon Zambito puts her cakes in the freezer for 10 minutes to let the buttercream stiffen up a little bit, then says to work fast! If you can get your fondant done before your buttercream softens back up, it works great.

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 23

I have never used ganache under fondant before, and after reading everyone's post, I am tempted, can someone give me a good recipe to use? Also, how long do you wait to cover the cake with MMF after you put the ganache on the cake. Thanks so much!!!

Veronica

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 23

I have never used ganache under fondant before, and after reading everyone's post, I am tempted, can someone give me a good recipe to use? Also, how long do you wait to cover the cake with MMF after you put the ganache on the cake. Thanks so much!!!

Veronica

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica970206

Veronica

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633264.html

If you have time to read the whole thread, there is a lot of good information. Most of what you need to know is going to be in the first few pages. HTH.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:35am
post #12 of 23

You want my opinion?

Well, I will never use buttercream after trying ganache. Ganache=heaven.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:31am
post #13 of 23

for me, i prefer ganache... with our hot climate, its much reliable than buttercream... and i find it easier to have a even, clean and sharp edges when i use ganache...

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #14 of 23

Maimai, perhaps you can help me with the answer to a question about ganache? In your experience, up to what temperature would you feel safe having a fondant-covered, white chocolate ganache cake out in? I have an outside wedding in August that I'd like to use white choc ganache under fondant but I don't know if it will melt or not...it could be up to 90 degrees or so, what do you think? Anyone?

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:44am
post #15 of 23

hi toptier. i only used dark choc ganache. and our highest temp here is 33 deg C. i havent encountered any melting or anything. sorry i cant be of any help with regards in using white choco ganache under fondant. maybe you can make a dry run. just make a 6" cake or smaller then cover it in white choco ganche and fondant then try to leave it outside just to make sure.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #16 of 23

i am wondering... lilttle bit confused. what would you decorators.. do , if YOUR clients . say. i want buttercream under my fondant cake. that i am paying you to do.. i don,t like ganache,etc.. what them..? would you still make the cake. and make the money.. or would you tell them to go elsewhere?

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcakes

I made my fitst cake using the ganache with the recipe someone posted here on cc . this was my experience the ganche helps to get clean & sharp edges, the cake looks very clean and straight after you put the fondant on.
I used 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and 12 oz dark chocolate. this was enough to cover an 8 inch cake 3 1/2 inches high.
the only thing is the flavor I think the chocolate has a very strong taste. I read in onother post that you had to use chocolate that has 50 to 60 % cocoa. so my chocolate had 60 % and I did not like the taste. thumbsdown.gif (and I love dark chocolate) thumbs_up.gif
someone else posted not to use chocolate coatings well I decided to make another cake with chocolate coatings using the same process but different amounts. and I love the taste of this cake.
so i would suggest to just try it we all have different taste some of us like dark chocolate and some don't. some like white chocolate and some don't.
I guess you have to experiment with different brands of chocolate to see wich one you like the best.
but fondant looks so much better with the cake cover in ganache
good luck

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #18 of 23

Thanks for sharing your experience with it Conchita. It sounds like I need to try ganache instead of buttercream under my fondant.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimai16

hi toptier. i only used dark choc ganache. and our highest temp here is 33 deg C. i havent encountered any melting or anything. sorry i cant be of any help with regards in using white choco ganache under fondant. maybe you can make a dry run. just make a 6" cake or smaller then cover it in white choco ganche and fondant then try to leave it outside just to make sure.

If it holds up in the Southeast asia it will hold up anywhere.......it gets jungle hot there....
hey toptier, our birthdays the same icon_smile.gif

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #20 of 23

When using ganache, does the cake need to be refrigerated?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #21 of 23

Many people said it doesn't need to be refrigerated but I refrigerate it anyways--only because I refrigerate all my cakes.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:17am
post #22 of 23

Think I have covered the ..... does it need to be refrigerated? ... in about 5 other threads - but NO is the simple answer!

Aussies summers are always in the high 30's and last summer we had days of temps in the high 40's ..... CELCIUS THAT IS!

Most venues are air-conditioned as are most homes (even if it is only a room or two) I have never had any problem with ganache in the heat but it should be noted that white chocolate ganache is the least stable of all (hence the need to increase the ratio to 3:1)

Ganache under fondant here in Australia is the NORM for the top-end decoraters - although it is also very rare to see a buttercream coated sponge cake here anyway! MUDCAKES , all varieties, ganache and fondant!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:14am
post #23 of 23

What Pam said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%