Hourly Rate For Decorators????? $$$???

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 6:13am by brea1026

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all my CC friends!

I would really like some advice from those of you who have worked in bakeries. I am currently a stay at home mom, and make cakes as a hobby for friends and family. My husband may be changing jobs soon, and I will probably need to find work myself. I would love to be able to work in a bakery (preferrablt not a grovery store-mostly because I know they do not pay much) I was asked by a very wonderful wedding cake bakery how much I would like an hour- and I have NO IDEA what is appropriate!

I know it probably depends on experience, skill, etc. I am very confident working with fondant, carved cakes, figurines, flowers, etc. I have not had a lot of experience with bc wedding cakes though.

I live in the Phoenix metro area. I would really appreciate any information about what I might be able to expect working as a decorator.

Thanks in advance! Happy 4th of July Week!

Breanna

16 replies
Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 17

Not familiar with Phoenix but with your experience... I'd shoot for 14-16 an hour... I live on the east coast and some can make that in some grocery stores...

Of course none of them have hired me yet but that's OK. I'm not as good as you and I work at a bakery under the table making 3-5 dollars an hour... I'm doing it for experience so I can't talk icon_wink.gif

Don't worry about BC wedding cakes - they are MUCH easier than fondant and faster - GOOD LUCK! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 17

I agree with $14-$16/hour... I'm East Coast too but worked part time at a caterer and made $15 to start doing weddings, raised to $16 but I had to quit after I had my fourth child, and my home business picked up.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 17

$3-$5 per hour? $15-$15 per hour?? Excuse me if this sounds a tad blunt - but is this NORMAL over there?? I always marvelled at how cheap your groceries were but if your wages are low NOW I know why !!

A baker in one of our supermarket chains just pumping out 'super simple' production line type of cakes could expect to get between $20 & $25 per hour.

(Oooops ssshhhhh - DON"T tell anyone!! or we will have a boatload of US Decoraters claiming asylum and wanting to flood the Aussie marketplace)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 17

Yeah I guess it goes with cost of living!

Minimum wage here is $5.15/hr, but up to $7.50/hr in many places now.

I will say that where I live, its hard to make it on a single income of $15/hour though. Cost of living varies greatly in the states and so do wages.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 17

Here they are paying $14.00 an hr.

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 17

I saw a help wanted sign for a local bakery needing cake decorators. It was posted at 8 - 13/hour, depending on experience and expertise... which I thought was a little low personally.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 17

6 years ago when I was working in a grocery store bakery I was making $14 an hour, so by today's standard I could probably get $20 an hour or more. A private bakery you might can get more.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 17

I was working in a bakery until this afternoon when I got laid off, anyways sorry. I had only taken the 3 courses from wilton and was hired a year ago at 10.00 an hour. This is what Louisiana pays.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 17

Just shoot me now,please!!!!!!!!!!I work for $7.00hr icon_redface.gif once a week decorating cakes

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:13am
post #11 of 17

When I made cakes in the grocery store many moons ago, I think I made $10 per hour...if I remember correctly...and that was in a grocery store. Aim for much higher. The worst they can do is lower the price, but if you lowball yourself they're not going to magically raise the price.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Yeah I guess it goes with cost of living!

Minimum wage here is $5.15/hr, but up to $7.50/hr in many places now.

I will say that where I live, its hard to make it on a single income of $15/hour though. Cost of living varies greatly in the states and so do wages.

Federal minimum wage is $6.55 an hour, due to be raised to $7.25 an hour on July 24, 2009.

I still see people advertising jobs (not for cake decorators) at lower amounts than that, maybe they don't know it has gone up.

The cake decorating jobs I've seen advertised here paid $8 an hour...definitely not enough in my opinion...not even enough to pay for daycare and gas to get to work.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeez

I was working in a bakery until this afternoon when I got laid off, anyways sorry. I had only taken the 3 courses from wilton and was hired a year ago at 10.00 an hour. This is what Louisiana pays.

Where are you in LA? Im in Rayne, right outside of Lafayette..

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeez

Where are you in LA? Im in Rayne, right outside of Lafayette..

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #15 of 17

Did you bring them your portfolio? If not, you should, then they wouldn't have to ask! Your cakes are amazing!! I don't know what the going rate is but they would be lucky to have you, ask for more than the average as applegumkitchen said.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #16 of 17

Did you bring them your portfolio? If not, you should, then they wouldn't have to ask! Your cakes are amazing!! I don't know what the going rate is but they would be lucky to have you, ask for more than the average as applegumkitchen said.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:13am
post #17 of 17

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I really appreciate the honest feedback! It feels reassuring to have a better idea of what I can expect. I am not sure where the future will take me and my cakes, but I feel like I am at the point where I would really like to make a living doing this. I have so much more to learn and I really hope that I can find something that works.

Thanks again and Happy Baking.

Breanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%