Small Piping Gel Pond Help!

Decorating By mamafrogcakes Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 11:33am by LittleBigMomma

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:37am
post #1 of 5

I am making a 1/2 sheet golf themed cake for a co-worker. I was in the middle of mixing all my colors when something hit me---right now I'm stumped (could be lack of sleep!) and I may feel dumb when someone gives me the easy obvious answer but here goes....
This will be covered in green BC with a small area for sand trap, trees, grass, holes, etc. I had planned on using blue tinted piping gel for a small pond area and then I realized I can't put the gel on top of green, it should be over white. But how do I get this one little area w/white BC and the piping gel? Should I do the white area first then the green BC around it??
Does this make sense?? icon_rolleyes.gif I give up for tonight...

4 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:00am
post #2 of 5

hmmmmmm maybe you can do the whole thing in green and make a white bct the shape and size you want for the pond and then put the gel over that. i have never tried it but it seems like a good idea to blend it in you could use a grass tip or something and go around the edge.

piklpop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piklpop2 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:46am
post #3 of 5

I did one with a water scene by icing the blue water first with colored BC. Let it set a short time then tint your piping gel with teal color and apply it with an artists paint brush. This will give you shades if blue which looks like water of different depths. Also you can use Light Brown Sugar for sand if you have sand on it.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:17am
post #4 of 5

Pipe a small area of blue first. Then cover with your piping gel

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 11:33am
post #5 of 5

On my golf themed cakes. I start with a thin layer of white BC frosting, outline my water, sand traps etc. I piped or filled in the water, sand etc. then I used the "grass" tip to make all of the green grassy area. This is all done on top of a thin layer of BC frosting, because, as you pipe the grass etc. using the BC you'll get the depth of frosting needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%