Need Some Ideas Before I Crack Up!!

Decorating By mckaren Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm by mckaren

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 6

It's my baby's "Welcome To The World" party on Saturday (we're not having him christened) and I really need some help with how to decorate it.

I tried doing a large bunny to go on top and it went wrong so I've thrown a tantrum today with the whole; "I can't do this", "I'm useless at cakes" - you get the idea icon_redface.gif

So what could I do instead? The cake is a 9" chocolate probably with fondant but I could do choc BC if there are any ideas.

Preferably nothing toooooo taxing with modelling because I have a 2yr old and a 9week old which means not much time in the kitchen and I've lost a lot of confidence in my cake making recently.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

Your cakes are lovely...you're just having a bad cake day. Put your fondant away for now, eat some chocolate and relax somewhere outside of the kitchen, for a little while.

What about a chocolate cake with fondant polka dots in two shades of blue, and also in white? Or if you have a bear cookie cutter, maybe make blue bears with very simple details to stick on the side of the cake.

Just remember that everyone who's coming to the party will know you've got your hands full with two little ones, and no one is going to expect the world's fanciest cake.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 6

You could do a quilt on top, just cut some different color squares and piece it together. I did one and added some tiny fondant blocks, a tiny teddy bear, a rattle and the like. Good luck with those little ones! I'm right there with you! icon_biggrin.gif

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

I love the quilt idea! Always remember K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) I had an art teacher that drilled this into my head. I sometimes have to step back and take a break and tell myself to just keep it simple. I have a 4 year old who loves to "help" so most of my stuff gets done either after she's in bed at 8:00 or I send her and my husband outside and lock the doors and close the back windows (yes for real) until I'm done. Good Luck!

dee_licious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee_licious Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6

First of all Congratulations on your baby. You can go with the chocolate BB and cut out hands or foot prints or even both in blue. You can also use the same color to make a ribbon as a border on the bottom with a small bow. Keep it simple. Good luck. post picture once it done.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 6

I really like the idea of a quilt/blankie. Even I can't get that wrong right now lol.

Now I just have to work out what else to put on it and how to get his name on there.

Patrick had some teddy bears and his was spelled out on building blocks so I'd like to do something similar but different. I don't want much do I?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%