Pregnant...now What?

Business By cms2 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm by 3SheetCakes

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 27

Much to my surprise, a few weeks ago I found out I was expecting. Early last year, I started a cake business out of our home. I don't advertise and all my orders come from word of mouth. Things have been going very well. I'm extremely proud of my cakes and I get nothing but great feedback and repeat customers. It was my intention to do this on a mostly part time basis and then go full time when my son was much older and heading off to college. He's 9 now.

I'm really not sure what to do here. Do I call it quits and focus on being a mom? Is it possible to continue with a baby at home? Has anybody been in my shoes? I could probably have a family member watch the baby for a few hours if need be but at the same time I don't want to take advantage of anyone by continually asking. Daycare is not something I want to do or could afford to do.

My DH's opinion is either quit or raise my prices drastically to make it more worth my time. How do you justify raising your prices so much when your customers are still getting the same product?

I feel like I really need to figure this out. I'll be showing soon and I'm sure people are going to start asking if I'm going to continue doing cakes.

I really appreciate and value your advice. Thanks!

26 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 27

I think a lot of people with small children run a cake decorating business out of their home. You just have to decide how much time you want to dedicate to it and how hard you want to work. Is DH willing to help with the kids or are they your sole responsibility?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 27

CONGRATULATIONS!
The good thing about doing this from home is that you can pick and choose when you want to be busy. If your husband is home on the weekends, then you can schedule most of your cakes for when he is there to help. Some evenings could be your time for the business and his time for the diapers. Your prices should reflect the value of your time.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 27

Congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

As to what you should do, I don't have experience in that. Why not play things by ear, take short-term orders e.g. no more than a couple of months in the future, then you can decide as you go whether it's going to work for you. You may have one of those placid babies who's happy to watch you work, or you may have one who's climbing the curtains whenever your back is turned.

Until you know, I wouldn't make any hasty decisions.

devilwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devilwife Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 27

I say keep doing it, you will need the outlet once you have your baby. I have 3 little ones 2 boys, 6 and 3 and a 6 month old little girl and I have just started "trying" to decroate cakes. I do it because I have always wanted to but also I need the break from the everyday stuff. I think with having a 9 year old and a newborn it should not be that bad, get yourself a swing and your baby will probably be happy for hours! mine is! LOL. I would not give up on something you love and enjoy. thumbs_up.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 27

I've had two babies (ages 2 1/2 and 1) during my time as a part-time cake baker/decorator. I do cakes from home. I work a 40 hour a week job, have to pick children up from daycare, and on top of that I have a husband and sometimes they all like to eat dinner. My orders are taken from word of mouth referrals and family/friends' requests. I never know when the request is coming. I just made up my mind that I was committed to doing cakes and when an order comes in, I forfeit my free evenings after work to fulfill that order. I do a lot of late night decorating or baking a day ahead and decorate the next day, so I am not neglecting my family. That part is not successful. There is a certain amount of neglect when you are focused on a cake and have children who need this or that (example, they may eat more hot dogs and sandwiches than hot meals). Adjusting prices to make it worth your time is important. I can't say i've figured that one out yet, either. As i've heard many CC'ers say "your price is your price", so if your time is worth $10 per hour + 2 times the $amount of ingredients, then that's your price and REAL customers will pay you what you are worth. My lunch breaks are used to grocery shop and pick up cake supplies, so when i get home, i can focus on the cakes.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 27

You can also give yourself a maternity leave -- just let people know that you won't be taking any orders from November 2009 until November 2010 (or however long you want it to be). After you survive the challenging newborn days, you can decide how much time, if any, you want to put back into your business.

Good luck and congratulations!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 27

Congratulations!

That's amazing news and it's definitely not goodbye to your business. Give yourself a bit of maternity leave and then just take the orders on you'll have time to do until things get easier. I started my business when my youngest was 10 months old and only work in the evenings unless it's an order I REALLY want and can get family help. She's now coming up to two and starting preschool in Sept so I'm looking to up my orders a bit. It's a great business for flexibility you only take on what you can do.

Take a deep breath and work out how long you can take orders for during the pregnancy and give yourself a decent break afterwards you don't want to end up resenting the cakes.

Good luck icon_smile.gif xxxx

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 27

It's reaaly, really hard. That's the truth-that you often feel pulled in both directions and it's hard to know which way to go.

I am going to say something that may be unpopular, but it is what I have personally learned. You have your whole life to make cakes! Years and years to do it. But having a baby is a special thing that will be a whirlwind and go quicker than you can ever imagine. And honestly, you don't want to regret not soaking up every possible second you can with this little baby.

I am currently taking the summer off to enjoy my little ones before they start school in the fall. I know it may sound silly, but I just don't want to miss anything with them.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 27

I would start letting your customers know now that you will be taking a limited number of orders per week or month once the baby comes. You can still do a few per month - I think if you totally call it quits, you will regret it and you may even resent it. If you let people know you will be limiting the number of orders and to get their's in early , they will and they will understand you have priorities with your family. Therefor, you still get to do some orders, and you get to spend time with your new baby!

Congrats on the pregnancy!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 27

Let people know that you will be taking maternity leave from (name the month to name the month). And that after your maternity leave you will be taking limited orders. That way you pick and choose the cakes that you are going to make. There will be time to spend with your baby! (Which I agree is SO important). But this way you're not giving up on your love of cakes. =o)

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 27

First off, Congratulations!! Second ,yes it can be done. I too am preggo with my third, my other two are 2 and 4 and I do cakes out of my home. It's called naps and early bedtimes sweetie. When they get a little bit older it's not so bad either then you can send them outside to play. Also do as much ahead of time as possible. Bake and feeze, make deorations ahead of time, make your icing too... it will be so much easier on you if you require AT LEAST a week and a half notice. Keep going and good luck.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 27

Also a very limited amount of cakes will help... I like to do about two a month... sometimes not even that.

karilove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karilove Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 27

First of all congratulations!!! I'm a stay at home mom that has recently stated doing cakes from my home as well. I have a two year old and take classes online as well. I dont think that you should quit. I think that you could do it, if you really want it. My daughter helps me whenever i make a cake. I usually make cupcakes for her and have her "decorate" them while i do my thing. Sure children have a short attentio span but eerything is possible.. and she loves to eat her creations after... icon_smile.gif don't give up..

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 27

yay!! another pregnant chick!!

i'm 5 months along now with our second, a boy, and we also have a 5 1/2 yr old daughter. i've been caking now for over 3 years, so most of my daughter's life has been shared with cakes. however, this time around will be my first time having an infant and a cake order. i imagine the bouncy will be my best friend for those few hours, along with a huge sense of organization and discipline.

i chose this profession cause i'm creative, good with small details, love to bake, and most of all...it lets me stay at home and be a mommy around the cake orders..i dictate when and what my orders will be, so i have all the control. i schedule my vacations when i want, and now will work the cakes around my pregnant belly. i also have to have a c section, so that will be figured into my recovery/get back to caking schedule.

good luck!!

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #16 of 27

Congrats!
I can totally relate to this. I have a soon-to-be 3 year old(sept.) and a one year old. It's called nap time, put on a movie, etc. At first, yeah it'll be damn near impossible to do anything. Like another CC'er said, give yourself a maternity leave. After all, you're only human.
Then, when you have gotten into a routine with the kiddies (and most of your strength back), start back up again. Besides, your 9yr old is in school (except summers) so you only have the one. That's super easy. Take nap times to practice, make flowers, get whatever needs to be made ahead of time done.
The key is to delegate your time wisely. Get a schedule going and you'll be alright.

Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 27

Congrats!
I can totally relate to this. I have a soon-to-be 3 year old(sept.) and a one year old. It's called nap time, put on a movie, etc. At first, yeah it'll be damn near impossible to do anything. Like another CC'er said, give yourself a maternity leave. After all, you're only human.
Then, when you have gotten into a routine with the kiddies (and most of your strength back), start back up again. Besides, your 9yr old is in school (except summers) so you only have the one. That's super easy. Take nap times to practice, make flowers, get whatever needs to be made ahead of time done.
The key is to delegate your time wisely. Get a schedule going and you'll be alright.

Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 27

Congrats!
The key is to delegate your time wisely. Get a schedule going and you'll be alright. You're the boss, remember??

Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 27

Congrats!
The key is to delegate your time wisely. Get a schedule going and you'll be alright. You're the boss, remember??

Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 27

Congrats!

Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 27

Sorry so many repeats! I just clicked "submit" once and it came up like five times. WTH is going on?????

Mabma80 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #22 of 27

Sorry so many repeats! I just clicked "submit" once and it came up like five times. WTH is going on?????

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #23 of 27

If you already have a child, you know how mind-numbing those first few weeks are. I have a fairly easy almost three month old, and I just feel now like I'm able to do anything else but baby for an hour at a time.

I like the maternity leave suggestion. You'll know when you feel up to it again.

I have been having the multiple post problem too. I'm glad it's not just me.

mcaulir Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #24 of 27

If you already have a child, you know how mind-numbing those first few weeks are. I have a fairly easy almost three month old, and I just feel now like I'm able to do anything else but baby for an hour at a time.

I like the maternity leave suggestion. You'll know when you feel up to it again.

mcaulir Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #25 of 27

3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #26 of 27

I can relate to your situation and I think that you will be able to continue your business on a part time basis. I have a 4 year old, a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. I work a full-time job as a chemist and I am making cakes part time as well. All of my advertising is done by word of mouth and business is booming! I did have to set a limit for myself. I no longer do anymore than 2 cakes per week so that I don't over-extend myself. It was really hard for me to start telling people no, but it is very necessary for my sanity! I have found myself doing most of the work when all of the kiddos are in bed. It just doesn't work to do any decorating while they are running around like wild monkeys!

Good luck with your decision, but remember that it is just that "your decision." Decide what you feel comfortable with and go with it!

3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #27 of 27

I can relate to your situation and I think that you will be able to continue your business on a part time basis. I have a 4 year old, a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. I work a full-time job as a chemist and I am making cakes part time as well. All of my advertising is done by word of mouth and business is booming! I did have to set a limit for myself. I no longer do anymore than 2 cakes per week so that I don't over-extend myself. It was really hard for me to start telling people no, but it is very necessary for my sanity! I have found myself doing most of the work when all of the kiddos are in bed. It just doesn't work to do any decorating while they are running around like wild monkeys!

Good luck with your decision, but remember that it is just that "your decision." Decide what you feel comfortable with and go with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%