Amazing Wedding Cakes

Lounge By kayjess Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm by costumeczar

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 13

I hope no one else has already posted a topic about this tonight.. I searched and didn't find anything.. but then I don't always have the best luck with the search feature... so... did anyone else watch Amazing Wedding Cakes tonight?? I'm pretty sure it was a new one. What did you all thing of the kangaroo cake?? When he carved that, there were so many crumbs, and it looked so bad, how would you ever cut that and have a nice looking slice of cake?? Am I way off base here?? Or are those cakes just for show?? I'm pretty sure that groom's cakes usually get cut and served, right??? I just didn't get why it looked so messy.... On the other hand, I LOVED the honey comb cake!!!!

12 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 13

I loved the honeycomb cake, too, but that's the one I was wondering about serving. It was upside down, plus it had a big metal hook running through it. So, because of the hook, they probably couldn't turn it right-side-up to serve it. Who knows?

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 13

I just saw that part as I read your post. It did look sloppy and crumbly. I'm not a fan of Mark at all. He seems to put heavy emphasis on being an artist rather than remembering people are going to eat what he makes.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:56am
post #4 of 13

I also thought that his sculpting job was a little... messy, but it seemed to turn out in the end.

I wasn't impressed with the honeycomb cake, however. I feel that the whole presentation was a little too simplistic and the way the honey comb hung so low really sort of annoyed me.. imho.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 13

That Merci B chick is constantly selling herself too. It seems like she's on a infomercial.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:32am
post #6 of 13

I did love the honeycomb cake and I also thought about the cutting of it at the restaurant, I bet the waitress hated the idea! Hahaha. I didn't care much for the art deco cake, and finally, I've never liked Mark's work, even when he was with Cake Divas, it's been always very messy. thumbsdown.gif

TheCakeGod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGod Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:34am
post #7 of 13

Yeah, but buttercream does look more messy than fondant, i think marc does a great job, he's fun to watch!

buttercream work takes more to get right, i'm a fan of it myself

miny Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 13

No, the BC was great, the cake looked fav from outside don't get me wrong I said that he does a very messy carving job when shaping the cake! thumbsdown.gif and I agree with you he's fun to watch, that's why he's on the show, personally I don't think is for his amazing cakes!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

That Merci B chick is constantly selling herself too. It seems like she's on a infomercial.

Isn't that the point of them signing up to be on the show? I mean aside from getting paid to do it, if you are just starting you better take advantage of the advertising!

Plus, I actually like that she talks so much about building up the business - gives me ideas to do the same!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 13

Marcs carving skills leaves much to be desired although it looked cute in the end. I liked the honeycomb cake as well although cutting that would give Me a fit!

idavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idavie Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 13

I watched the show last night and I also thought that cake looked bad. So far, I have not been a fan of any of their cakes. thumbsdown.gif

miny Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 13

Welcome Idavie and congratulations on your first post!!! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 13

I liked the kangaroo cake, considering it was all buttercream, but I wish they'd had a cigar sticking out of the kangaroo's mouth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%