Help! Food Coloring Paint?

Decorating By bakescakes1227 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm by tatumama83

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I am doing a cake that requires detail, and I am a fan of the show Ace Of Cakes and I saw them painting on to the fondant! Does anybody have a "recipe" for food coloring paint or how to do it?!?!?!?!
Thank You,
Stephanie in Oregon

7 replies
kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 8

I think gel food coloring mixed with a little alcohol is what you would use.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 8

I just paint my gel colors full strength. Be sure that you put it in another container rather that painting directly from the jar though-just to be sure you don't contaminate the entire jar of color.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 8

Just a question .... does the full strength gel color take long to dry? I have used the white straight and it took quite a long time to dry. I know the white is not a gel color, but it got me wondering.

yanira1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanira1973 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #5 of 8

I recomend you to use the powder dust colors and in a little container (very very little) mix with the brush with vodka or 151 rum while you draw in the fondant. In my experience when i use the gel colors the fondant can absorb and damage the painting. See my baby gumpaste photo face. there a little damage!!!
Good luck!

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:11am
post #6 of 8

I use an artist's watercolor pallet for my food colors, and I've been very happy with the results. I use a new clean pallet that has a cover over it so I can store it with no waste. My pallet has 22 wells around the edges with a large open area in the center to mix the colors and create puddles of colors to work with, similar to watercoloring. I have enough room for all my gel and paste colors, and when I want to use a color, I just put a few drops of vodka in the well and it re-hydrates within seconds and is ready to use. I "paint" just about everything I do with this way because I like the look that shading adds - everything seems to come alive. When I brush some green color over my leaves the food coloring stays in the veins and gives a realistic look. When you paint your things with vodka (or water for that matter) whatever you paint with take on a shiny look that sort of resembles porcelain. If you don't like the shine on it, you can always brush on a little corn starch or powdered sugar to take the shine away. Try it sometime- it's a lot of fun!

jojocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojocakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:31am
post #7 of 8

What a great idea artsywest. I will have to try this method.

tatumama83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatumama83 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 8

will the "paint" work good on dried royal icing or color flow? im wanting to make a royal icing tiara and i want to only paint a couple spots on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%