How Do You Do R2D2's Legs?

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm by eatdessert1st

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 6

My 5 yr old nephew wants a Star Wars cake this year. Amazing R2D2 pics in the gallery!!!!!! RKT seems to be the way to go w/ his legs, but is there a template I could use? How did ya'll do the legs?
Any tips would be very appreciated... it looks like it'd be a fun cake to do for him.

Mel Mc.

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 6
jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 6

I did mine with the ready made RKT, stacked 3 ish end to end with butter cream between, then took one RKT cut on a slant to make 2 triangles and stuck those either side at the bottom, again with buttercream. Coat whole lot in b/c and then cover with fondant.

Pics in my photos

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 6

also used a round cookie cutter to cut semi circle that used to shape the top of the leg

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

I made a pan of RKT. I then made a template on paper to cut the legs out so they would be identical. After the RKT's stiffened, I used the template, cut out the legs, then made a "platform" of RKT's for each leg to sit on. Iced the whole thing in BC and applied fondant accents. It's in my pics if you want to take a peek.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies! Amazing cakework! I'm going to attempt it on a small scale as his party isn't large. He's so excited about this cake.... I hope I can do it justice! No pressure, though... icon_lol.gif

Melanie Mc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%