How To Remove Fondant From A Styrofoam Dummy??

Decorating By Normita Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 4:47am by KimAZ

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

I dont know how to remove/clean my styrofoam dummy...any suggestions??

5 replies
icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

I fill my sink with hot soapy water and let my dummies soak for about 20 mins. After that the fondant will slide right off into the garbage can.
HTH

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 6

I am getting ready to make my first dummy cake this week so I am also interested in the answer to this question. So here is a bump.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing_fever

I fill my sink with hot soapy water and let my dummies soak for about 20 mins. After that the fondant will slide right off into the garbage can.
HTH

Thanks....gonna try this out right now icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 6

I just start hacking on it, eventually it starts to come off in nice thick sheets. I try to wash my dummies as little as possible. (I don't reuse them on client cakes, just for practice pictures). The more times they are wet and scrubbed on, the sooner they start to get fuzzy and the edges start to wear down.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #6 of 6

I just chip off the fondant with a knife as it's usually hard as a brick by the time I'm ready to reuse the dummy. I have washed them off with soapy water but all of those now have a very musty smell and it's not nice at all. I've reused them, recovering them with buttercream and/or fondant and that smell goes not seep through.

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%