Help With Colouring Fondant

Decorating By pamela82 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 12:07am by nicolevoorhout

pamela82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamela82 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all,

I am new to here and from australia,

I was just after some help with colouring fondant.

I went out and got some of the americolour because they dont sell a good range of colours here.

So my son is having a pirate part in about a week and the colours are red and black. I ended up getting the americolour super black found it did not work with white fondant so i ended up getting a chocolate fondant and it worked realy good and turned out realy black.

But now i made a cake yesterday to do a test run and when i tryed and colour the fondant red it was coming out a red/pink colour not a red colour. That was one of the americolours.

But was wondering what elce would be good to use to make a strong red? I use gel at the moment but would powder be best etc?

I want to get this right as its his 5th birthday party

thanks pamela

4 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Pamela!

For black and red, I usually use Satin Ice precolored. You have to add a bunch of color....but I have added super red (Americolor) for smaller batches of fondant and it does work. You just have to add a lot.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 5

We don't have satin ice in Australia. Our fondant selections are limited unfortunately!

You can buy cake art fondant in red and black, and Champagne cakes sells regalice which you can buy coloured. However, most decorators I know have difficulty using dark pre coloured fondants alone, most I know will mix some regular white fondant into the colour to make it more workable, myself included, you can add some white without effecting the colour to much.

There are lots of tips and tricks for getting dark coloured fondant, it's not easy to do. Many recommend powder as the best, however, if you use the powder straight you will need to knead and leave it to rest overnight and knead it again the next day as there are often specks that come through. You can add a little hot water to make the powder into a paste and then mix it through.

Other tips include making a base colour like you did with the chocolate fondant for the black. So start by making the fondant pink with a pink paste and then try adding red.

Another option if you have an airbrush is to airbrush the colour on, but that's not viable for everyone.

No simple easy solution, most people I know have had to try a few options until they find what works for them.

HTH

nicolevoorhout Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #4 of 5

We don't have satin ice in Australia. Our fondant selections are limited unfortunately!

You can buy cake art fondant in red and black, and Champagne cakes sells regalice which you can buy coloured. However, most decorators I know have difficulty using dark pre coloured fondants alone, most I know will mix some regular white fondant into the colour to make it more workable, myself included, you can add some white without effecting the colour to much.

There are lots of tips and tricks for getting dark coloured fondant, it's not easy to do. Many recommend powder as the best, however, if you use the powder straight you will need to knead and leave it to rest overnight and knead it again the next day as there are often specks that come through. You can add a little hot water to make the powder into a paste and then mix it through.

Other tips include making a base colour like you did with the chocolate fondant for the black. So start by making the fondant pink with a pink paste and then try adding red.

Another option if you have an airbrush is to airbrush the colour on, but that's not viable for everyone.

No simple easy solution, most people I know have had to try a few options until they find what works for them.

HTH

nicolevoorhout Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:07am
post #5 of 5

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%