Your Experience Re: Refrigerating A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By adven68 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 3:46am by KitchenKat

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 11

I need to refrigerate a decorated fondant cake. It tastes better, I want to use a perishable filling & it is firmer,,,,easier to handle.

On Cake Boss, Buddy seems to put any and all cakes in the fridge. What about you guys? Will it sweat & ruin the finish if I refrigerate?

Thanks!

10 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 11

I use Satin Ice... I refrigerate EVERY cake (my fillings require it). I've never had a problem from it.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 11

I too always refrigerate when using Satin Ice - but Choco-Pan just doesn't like the fridge (it sweats like crazy). I've also had no trouble refrigerating Wilton.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 11

I use MFF and refrigerate all the time (at least when the cake will fit in my fridge! LOL) and I don't have any problems.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 11

I just recently started refrigerating cakes when they need it. I was scared at first, but bobwonderbuns gave me great advise. Don't touch it at any point or it will leave fingerprints. It may condensate, but it will disappear as it comes to room temp. Oh, I use satin ice as well.
I don't watch cake boss...but some bakeries have special refrigerators for cakes. I know someone on here posted her orders for one weekend, and she had a special cake fridge. I don't remember what the difference is..something about lower fan or something..IDK. Anyway, my point is maybe Buddy has one of those,too..which is why he puts all his cakes in there with no worries!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 11

I've refrigerated regular and chocolate MMF and never had any problems.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:56am
post #7 of 11

Yay!!! I'm so glad to hear the consensus! I, too, use SatinIce, so in the fridge it goes!

thanks to all!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #8 of 11

icon_confused.gif Hmmmm, I have never, in the 20 odd years I've been using fondant, ever put a fondant cake in the fridge - never had a problem either
icon_smile.gif

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 11

All my decorated fondant cakes go in the fridge.
Very little choice as our summers get up to 40 degrees Celcius!
Never had any problems at all & the cool tasting cake goes down very well on such hot days!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #10 of 11

We have hot & humid summers too & as long as you keep the cake in an a/c room ( before taking it outside,if that's the case ) it's fine....but each to their own I guess ! icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #11 of 11

I used to think the fridge and fondant don't mix but I've discovered it's okay. You can refrigerate or freeze fondant covered cakes as long as you take it out and bring to room temp a few hours before serving. I set mine uncovered on a table in a cool room and direct a fan onto it until the condensation evaporates. No discernible change in texture, looks, taste or quality.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%