Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By MARIATAMIA Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 3:33am by terri76

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a red velvet cake this weekend and was wondering if I use the cream cheese frosting it calls for can I make the basketweave design on the cake. Will the frosting be sturdy enough to hold the basketweave design? Also, there will be air conditioning in the function hall this cake will be in will it be okay with the cream cheese? Any help is appreciated.
icon_wink.gif

6 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

I always make a cream cheese blend for the outside. Mix cream cheese icing with buttercream for stability. regular cream cheese icing in the middle as filling, but it will sag because of the weight.
The cream cheese icing won't go bad. Think of all the groc. stores that have cream cheese iced carrot cakes on the shelf, un-refrigerated for days. I wouldn't push it that far but 1/2 day should be no problem.

MARIATAMIA Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 7

Cakequeen50, thank you so much. I never thought to mix the 2 frostings. What an excellent idea. thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

I always make a cream cheese blend for the outside. Mix cream cheese icing with buttercream for stability. regular cream cheese icing in the middle as filling, but it will sag because of the weight.
The cream cheese icing won't go bad. Think of all the groc. stores that have cream cheese iced carrot cakes on the shelf, un-refrigerated for days. I wouldn't push it that far but 1/2 day should be no problem.

Sorry to jump in here. But i was asked to do a Red Velvet cake for an outside wedding, do you think that if i used it like you said with mixing it with my Bc (this is usally the way i do one) will it with stand the heat ?
Under a tent no AC buildings anywhere?? just want to be safe. and if so would it be wise to keep the cakes in coolers until 1hr before i set them up.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

absolutely keep in inside as long as possible. I wouldn't trust anything in the heat without a tent.
a little story....I had a customer pick up a cream cheese blend wedding cake, her brother took it to the subdivision community center, put it on the table, shut off the air and lights and left it overnight. The bride came in to a melted cake the next morning. not a good thing.

MARIATAMIA Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7

Cakebaker, what is your recipe for the red velvet cake?

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 7

What do everybody think about the Crusting Cream Cheese Icing found on CC by Kathy Finholt? It's got butter, cream cheese, sugar, shortening, vanilla & salt. I was planning on using this one on a cake I have for tomorrow but I've never used it before.

How do you mix the buttercream and cream cheese icing? I want to try that one one day.

Thanks for the help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%