How Long In Advance Do You Decorate A Cake

Decorating By dmeyer1974 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm by val_nutrimetics

dmeyer1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmeyer1974 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 9

Hi I am just wondering how long in advance you bake your cakes, and then frost them before they are eaten? and how do you store them?

I usually use box cake mixes, no filling and butter cream frosting. In the past I have baked the cakes a few days in advance and put them in the freezer, then frosted them the day before and store them in a cake box on the counter-

This time I made a cake on Thursday, have it wrapped in plastic wrap and sitting in the oven, I would like to frost and decorate it Friday night- but can it sit until Sunday mid morning and still taste moist and good???

thanks
Dana

8 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeyer1974

Hi I am just wondering how long in advance you bake your cakes, and then frost them before they are eaten? and how do you store them?

I usually use box cake mixes, no filling and butter cream frosting. In the past I have baked the cakes a few days in advance and put them in the freezer, then frosted them the day before and store them in a cake box on the counter-

This time I made a cake on Thursday, have it wrapped in plastic wrap and sitting in the oven, I would like to frost and decorate it Friday night- but can it sit until Sunday mid morning and still taste moist and good???

thanks
Dana

i would think it would be ok just make sure that it isnt wrapped in plastic so it can breath with out sweatin and as long as it doesnt have any fruit filling in it

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 9

Cakes can sit just fine overnight without being frosted, especially if you leave it in the pan and cover with a tea towel. If you want it to last longer without starting to go stale, frost it. Your decorating can wait, once you've got a good crumb coat on the cake to seal in moisture.

sprinkleme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinkleme Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 9

I wrap my cooled cakes in Press 'N Seal & store them in the fridge until I'm ready ice them. This is usually 2 days ahead of delivery. Never had a problem.

dmeyer1974 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 9

thanks- how long do you let them sit after they are frosted??

varika Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:

thanks- how long do you let them sit after they are frosted??

I let them sit about 15 minutes, minimum, so my frosting can crust.

dmeyer1974 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 9

I meant how long will you let the cakes sit all finished until you deliver them- meaning can I have a cake completly done 48 hours before it is ready for delivery???if so- how do you store it?

thanks

varika Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:

I meant how long will you let the cakes sit all finished until you deliver them- meaning can I have a cake completly done 48 hours before it is ready for delivery???if so- how do you store it?

thanks

I've had a cake sit for 48 hours before I delivered it without any problems. ...actually, on that cake, I had my cousin call me FROM AUSTRALIA to tell me how good the cake was. It just sat on the table, no refrigeration or anything.

Obviously, your fillings and whatnot make a difference. If you've got room for it in the fridge, I'd refreigerate.

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 9

Hi,

I usually put my decorated cakes in a cake box in the fridge. Usually I decorate on friday for a saturday party - but I have done this over 48 hours too - and the cakes are always fresh and moist!

HTH,
Valerie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%