Does Caramel Filling Need To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 6

I'm hoping to make my first caramel filling this weekend for a butter pecan cake. Does it need to be refrigerated or does the sugar stabalize the condensed milk used? It will only be out of the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours as I'm using it for my final Wilton fondant and gum paste class. I was going to use the Thick Caramel Sauce or Filling recipe from this site: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6851-Thick-Caramel-Sauce-or-Filling.html

5 replies
LittleLamb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLamb2 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 6

I was wondering the same thing about the same recipe. I made it last weekend and it was amazing. I left mine out just over night and it seemed fine, but I don't know about any longer.

emlashlee Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 6

I'm happy to get a vote for the flavor department with this recipe. Thanks for letting me know!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 6

No, the cake filled with caramel doesn't have to be refrigerated...think caramel apples! It's all cooked. Now, I do store the leftovers in the fridge, although I probably don't have to. When I fill a cake with caramel, I do a thin layer of buttercream first so it doesn't soak into the cake.

I posted that recipe, btw. I hope you enjoy!

Jodie

LittleLamb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLamb2 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

I thought about putting a layer of buttercream first when my sister asked me if it would soak into the cake and that's when I realized that maybe I wanted that. Since it was just for family I left it and it did soak slightly into the chocolate cake and it was really good that way.

emlashlee Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

No, the cake filled with caramel doesn't have to be refrigerated...think caramel apples! It's all cooked. Now, I do store the leftovers in the fridge, although I probably don't have to. When I fill a cake with caramel, I do a thin layer of buttercream first so it doesn't soak into the cake.

I posted that recipe, btw. I hope you enjoy!

Jodie

Oh, thank you Jodie! It's so exciting to hear from the author of this recipe. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%