Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By Lelu Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm by Lelu

Lelu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelu Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #1 of 12

Hi, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and finally decided to make it official. I saw a post recently and can't remember which thread I saw it in. Someone posted a recipe for a chocolate fondant that tastes like tootsie rolls. I remember the person they were replying to was out of the US because they didn't know what tootsie rolls were. I am making a treasure chest cake next weekend for my nephews b-day and would love to use it to cover my cake. Can anyone help me out with the recipe or give me a link. I love this site and everyone seems really friendly and helpful!! Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 12

I'm not familiar with that original thread, but try Michele Foster's fondant in the recipe section. I've used her original recipe for a while now and just tried her chocolate and white chocolate versions. Both are TO DYE FOR!!!! The chocolate is pretty similar to a tootsie roll, but even better. And the white chocolate is my new favorite. You won't be dissapointed.

Lelu Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 12

Thanks! I haven't made fondant from scratch yet and I wanted to experiment this weekend before I actually have to make the cake. I'll give it a try. Thanks again!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 12

Not sure if this is the recipe you are looking for, but I just made chocolate mmf , for the 1st time this past week-end for fathers Day.

It tasted great and was easy to work with.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2408-Chocolate-Marshmallow-Fondant.html

BC0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BC0101 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 12

I made some chocolate MMF for my son's jungle cake a couple weeks ago. It tasted great, but when I went to put it on the cake the night before it cracked all around the edges. It was just much drier than the regular MMF. I ended up making some more regular MMF and dyeing it brown at around 2 in morning. I'm not sure which recipe you are using, but make sure it's not too dry like my disaster. The cake turned out great in the end, but it was a whole extra step I wasn't prepared to do.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelu

Hi, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and finally decided to make it official. I saw a post recently and can't remember which thread I saw it in. Someone posted a recipe for a chocolate fondant that tastes like tootsie rolls. I remember the person they were replying to was out of the US because they didn't know what tootsie rolls were. I am making a treasure chest cake next weekend for my nephews b-day and would love to use it to cover my cake. Can anyone help me out with the recipe or give me a link. I love this site and everyone seems really friendly and helpful!! Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

It may have actually been candy clay that was referred to, which is:

Melt 1 lb. chocolate coating. Stir in 1/3 c. corn syrup. Let sit overnight, wrapped in parchment paper.

It's not fondant, but you can work with it in a similar way--it gets very hard, but will soften up as you work with it. I've made beautiful roses and some ugly figurines with it (my skill level, not the clay's fault!), but I've heard it can even be used to cover cakes with.

Lelu Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #7 of 12

I was hoping to start with something that was already chocolate so I wouldn't have to make myself crazy trying to make it brown enough!! I will also need some black and I thought by starting with something that is already dark, the black would be easier to achieve. I guess I will experiment with the MMF this weekend and maybe someone else will come through with the one I saw posted. Thanks again, you are all great for replying so quickly!! Lisa icon_smile.gif

BC0101 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #8 of 12

If you are making MMF you can add the color before you mix the melted marshmallow and the sugar. You can put it into the melted marshmallow and mix it in before kneading. It is much quicker that way. The only thing is you have to kind of guess how much color you will need.

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:52am
post #9 of 12

I've made chocolate MMF a couple of times, and I've found that I use less powdered sugar, or else it will dry out. I don't recall how much less though.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:09am
post #10 of 12

I believe the post regarding mmf tasting like tootsie rolls may have been mine as that is exactly how I described the chocolate mmf in a post. The recipe that is posted here on CC is very similar to the one I use. My suggestion is to not add all the powdered sugar when mixing. I only add about half and then add more as needed once I turn it out on the board to knead it. All of the mmf recipes, in my opinion, call for too much powdered sugar. I never end up adding as much as the recipe calls for.

Good luck--I think you'll be hooked on it.

Bettina

BC0101 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 12

I don't use all the powdered sugar they tell you to either. It just never blends in. I will have to try the chocolate one with less sugar. It does taste like Tootsie Rolls though!

Lelu Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I decided to try Michele foster's fondant since I've seen so many people rave about it on here. I made a batch of white chocolate and regular chocolate, I have two birthdays at my house next weekend. I have already colored some of the white for decorations and it seems fairly easy to work with. I tasted both of them this morning and OMG they are good! What a difference from the Wilton stuff. This is my new favorite recipe and I will never by ready made again!! Thanks again for everyone's help icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%